Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie Might Be Released In April

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie Might Be Released In April

It seems at the earliest is a possible release of Debian 8.0 "Jessie" in April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please hurry up. Sid/Experimental is quite a clusterf*** waiting on it.

Comment

I'm confused?

"55 open RC bugs affecting Sid and Jessie"
      Sid and Jessie are two different versions which should have different bug numbers?
      Also, the site I have been viewing bugs on says 102 until Jessie is ready to release?

Never the less, I am really excited for this one! No more dual boot between stable for everyday OS and Jessie testing on my small SSD to play steam games.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
        "55 open RC bugs affecting Sid and Jessie"
        Sid and Jessie are two different versions which should have different bug numbers?
        Also, the site I have been viewing bugs on says 102 until Jessie is ready to release?

Never the less, I am really excited for this one! No more dual boot between stable for everyday OS and Jessie testing on my small SSD to play steam games.
        Normally, packages are first uploaded to Unstable (Sid), and then migrate from Unstable to Testing. If bugs are found before the package in question has migrated from Unstable to Testing, then it won't migrate until that bug has been resolved. The freeze introduces additional blocks before a package can migrate from Unstable to Testing, but overall the idea that "fixes for bugs in Testing should land in Unstable first" still holds true. Until Jessie is released, Jessie and Testing are the same distribution. Thus, if a bug affects *both* Sid (Unstable) and Jessie (Testing), that means that not only is the bug present in Jessie, but the equivalent package in Sid *also* suffers from that bug. In other words, if a bug only affects Jessie, not Sid, then the conclusion to draw from that is that the bug has been fixed and it's just a matter of time before the fixed package is unblocked so that it can move from Sid to Jessie; whereas, on the other hand, if a bug affects both Sid and Jessie, that means that the bug has not been fixed yet.

So, when you see the 102 bugs affecting Jessie, and read about how there's actually 55 RC bugs affecting Sid and Jessie, what that really means is that of the 102 bugs that you can see on https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/, some of those bugs have actually already been fixed in Sid and once they have migrated to Jessie, they will be fixed in Jessie as well. In other words, the "102 bugs" thing is a bit misleading in this case. Also note that those 55 open RC bugs mentioned by the release team are bugs in what are considered "key" packages. There's an additional 17 "severity: critical" bugs in "non-key" packages as well, but those aren't as important because, since those packages are considered non-key, if any of those 17 bugs aren't fixed before the release is ready, then the packages with those bugs will simply be completely dropped from the release. Still, 17 + 55 != 102.

A tool that you might find more useful than https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/ can be found at https://udd.debian.org/

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Serge View Post
          Normally, packages are first uploaded to Unstable (Sid), and then migrate from Unstable to Testing. If bugs are found before the package in question has migrated from Unstable to Testing, then it won't migrate until that bug has been resolved. The freeze introduces additional blocks before a package can migrate from Unstable to Testing, but overall the idea that "fixes for bugs in Testing should land in Unstable first" still holds true. Until Jessie is released, Jessie and Testing are the same distribution. Thus, if a bug affects *both* Sid (Unstable) and Jessie (Testing), that means that not only is the bug present in Jessie, but the equivalent package in Sid *also* suffers from that bug. In other words, if a bug only affects Jessie, not Sid, then the conclusion to draw from that is that the bug has been fixed and it's just a matter of time before the fixed package is unblocked so that it can move from Sid to Jessie; whereas, on the other hand, if a bug affects both Sid and Jessie, that means that the bug has not been fixed yet.

So, when you see the 102 bugs affecting Jessie, and read about how there's actually 55 RC bugs affecting Sid and Jessie, what that really means is that of the 102 bugs that you can see on https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/, some of those bugs have actually already been fixed in Sid and once they have migrated to Jessie, they will be fixed in Jessie as well. In other words, the "102 bugs" thing is a bit misleading in this case. Also note that those 55 open RC bugs mentioned by the release team are bugs in what are considered "key" packages. There's an additional 17 "severity: critical" bugs in "non-key" packages as well, but those aren't as important because, since those packages are considered non-key, if any of those 17 bugs aren't fixed before the release is ready, then the packages with those bugs will simply be completely dropped from the release. Still, 17 + 55 != 102.

A tool that you might find more useful than https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/ can be found at https://udd.debian.org/
          Hey thanks for explaining that to me Serge! I never fully realized how that worked between Unstable and Testing before.

Comment

Working...
          X