Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Announces DragonBoard 410c With 64-bit ARMv8 SoC

Phoronix: Qualcomm Announces DragonBoard 410c With 64-bit ARMv8 SoC

Qualcomm announced the DragonBoard 410c yesterday as their first design in compliance with Linaro's 96Boards standard. The DragonBoard 410c will be available to developers this summer and be powered by Qualcomm's 64-bit Snapdragon SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Frankly, the only thing that would temp me to get one of these over a RPi2 is a SATA port, it's difficult to tell from the picture, but I don't think it has one.

The BananaPi has a SATA port, but otherwise it's a horrible machine. I installed Gentoo on it, it worked up until a full emerge update, then the network was borked. I haven't been bothered to debug the issue.

Comment

Hope they launch a board with Snapdragon 810.
      Really looking forward to Snapdragon 820 too.

By the way, what does this DragonBoard 410 cost?

Do all the boards by 96boards fit a common enclosure?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Frankly, the only thing that would temp me to get one of these over a RPi2 is a SATA port, it's difficult to tell from the picture, but I don't think it has one.

The BananaPi has a SATA port, but otherwise it's a horrible machine. I installed Gentoo on it, it worked up until a full emerge update, then the network was borked. I haven't been bothered to debug the issue.
        Nope, there is no SATA on the 410c board.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          The 64 bit nature of the processor would be my temptation.

However I do wonder why you would want a SATA port on such a board. Makes no sense to me as the board is obviously targeted for low power applications best served by solid state secondary store.
          So a borked OS make BananaPI a horrible board????

I'm not sure why anyone would object to these credit card sized or so boards, everytime a new one pops up my imagination runs wild. We now have what amounts to the capability of a full PC in these little boards which means being able to dedicate "PC" capability to all sorts of things.

Comment

the Olimex boards look good, however they use an AllWinner CPU, and we now know that AllWinner are evil :-(

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              However I do wonder why you would want a SATA port on such a board. Makes no sense to me as the board is obviously targeted for low power applications best served by solid state secondary store.
              Attach 4TB disk = personal cloud that uses < 10W including the disk. SATA has numerous advantages over USB, from pure speed to better controllability of things like power-down periods. I've yet to see a single ARM board with USB 3, but even that would only help with speed.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                I've yet to see a single ARM board with USB 3, but even that would only help with speed.
                You've never checked out HardKernel's ODROID boards then?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Attach 4TB disk = personal cloud that uses < 10W including the disk. SATA has numerous advantages over USB, from pure speed to better controllability of things like power-down periods. I've yet to see a single ARM board with USB 3, but even that would only help with speed.
                  you do realise that for personal cloud, internet speed is the bottleneck, so having SATA brings no advantage over USB?
                  also, you would want 2.5" hdd, not 3.5" .. since again, you get no extra speed out of it in that scenario, only more power consumption...
                  so slow 2.5 drives over USB are enough for personal cloud, no SATA needed...

Comment

Originally posted by memeka View Post
                    you do realise that for personal cloud, internet speed is the bottleneck, so having SATA brings no advantage over USB?
                    also, you would want 2.5" hdd, not 3.5" .. since again, you get no extra speed out of it in that scenario, only more power consumption...
                    so slow 2.5 drives over USB are enough for personal cloud, no SATA needed...
                    2.5" HDDs give around 60 MB/s reads. Faster internet is available even here (finally), they are selling 100/100 fiber to customers, with faster business lines (yes, the customer line is only 12.5 MB/s).

Laptop drives also cost more per GB and offer only smaller capacities.
                    Last edited by curaga; 15 March 2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X