Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R9 390X Could Cost $700+ USD

Phoronix: Radeon R9 390X Could Cost $700+ USD

It looks like AMD's next-generation Radeon R9 390X graphics card could end up retailing for $700+ USD, well more than the Radeon R9 290X and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 980...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given the expected specifications - over 8 TFLOPS for example, this is really not a consumer card, more a pro-sumer card or pro-gamer card.

It's going up against the Titan X, a card that will sell for over $1000 apparently.

I guess using HBM is not the cheapest option either, this early on.

Comment

Hm, anything on the mobile versions of these? I sure hope they'll get released as soon as possible...

Comment

Knowing AMD, they don't set prices like this unless they know it's going to sell well. This must be really competitive to the GTX980 if they're charging this much. I'm not sure this is actually a competition vs the new Titan. If Titan 2 (or whatever its called) is anything like the first, it's just going to be an overpriced jack-of-all-trades. So unless you do gaming on your professional workstation PC, it's just a stupid product to get. AMD doesn't do anything very special for workstation graphics, so I don't think they're going to make something to compete with the Titan. They might make a R9 395x2 but I still wouldn't say that's still a gaming-only GPU.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 16 March 2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

It will probably also suck 700 Watts out of your PSU.
          When you power it up all the lights in your street go out for one second.

Comment

GTX980 Ti is left in dust, this is similar or goes above Titan X, for chinese readears

Or better something like this:

The first alleged specifications and performance numbers of AMD's Radeon R9 390X flagship graphics card have been leaked ahead of NVIDIA's GTC 2015 event tomorrow.

Comment

$300 dollars cheaper than Nvidia GTX Titan X?

Comment

Originally posted by Rakl?dder View Post
                $300 dollars cheaper than Nvidia GTX Titan X?
                wccftech says 390 is $700 US, but 390X is $700 US+ so it might be *much* higher

The Radeon R9 390 is suggested to retail at $700 US while the Radeon R9 390X will retail at a much higher price and the sole reason being the HBM memory which might be a deal breaker for AMD on the enthusiasts side.

Comment

I read somewhere that AMD has lots of unsold chips in inventory, so that is the reason why they postponed launch of new products so much. And probably this pricing is for the same reason. To not hurt sales of chips they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    It will probably also suck 700 Watts out of your PSU.
                    When you power it up all the lights in your street go out for one second.
                    That's what I was thinking too. No matter how powerful it is, unless they've caught up with Nvidia with performance / watt then they're not going to make much headway in the PC discreet GPU market. Maxwell has really trounced AMDs efforts in this regard.

It's a good thing their APUs are a lot more appealing and that they've sown up the current gen consoles, this keeps them in the game. A strong AMD is good for consumers so I'm hoping for a comeback.

Comment

Working...
                    X