Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI3 Support Finally Added To AMD's Radeon X.Org Driver

Phoronix: DRI3 Support Finally Added To AMD's Radeon X.Org Driver

While DRI3 has been talked about for the better part of three years, today it's finally now supported by the mainline xf86-video-ati Radeon DDX driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice

Nice to see work on DRI3 support still going on even after Keith Packards left Intel for HP.

Comment

From the mailing list:
      Because enabling DRI3 still causes some regressions on the client side
      (e.g. it breaks some piglit tests, probably due to bugs in the Gallium
      DRI state tracker code), it's guarded by Option "DRI3" for now.

It should work with EXA as well, but I've only tested glamor. Any testing
      with EXA appreciated.

They did not use https://github.com/iXit/xf86-video-a...ccdade06bba6b? Interesting... Was it not good?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post

They did not use https://github.com/iXit/xf86-video-a...ccdade06bba6b? Interesting... Was it not good?
        That lacks Present and Sync fences extensions, which means vsync missing.

Comment

The article says DDX driver, does that mean it doesn't apply to RadeonSI KMS driver with Glamor? Or am I confused and it applies to all drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            The article says DDX driver, does that mean it doesn't apply to RadeonSI KMS driver with Glamor? Or am I confused and it applies to all drivers?
            The ddx is the xorg driver. It applies to all radeon hardware. The ddx uses glamor or exa by default depending on the asic family. radeonsi and r600 are mesa drivers for OpenGL, VDPAU, etc. They are utilized by glamor for X acceleration, but glamor still requires a ddx (xf86-video-ati or the modesetting ddx in the xserver) to interface with the xserver. There is a single radeon kernel driver that handles all radeon hardware. All of the user mode components (xf86-video-ati, radeonsi, r600, etc.) talk to the radeon kernel module to submit commands or set up displays.

Comment

It was reused and improved. It lacked Present support in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                The ddx is the xorg driver. It applies to all radeon hardware. The ddx uses glamor or exa by default depending on the asic family. radeonsi and r600 are mesa drivers for OpenGL, VDPAU, etc. They are utilized by glamor for X acceleration, but glamor still requires a ddx (xf86-video-ati or the modesetting ddx in the xserver) to interface with the xserver. There is a single radeon kernel driver that handles all radeon hardware. All of the user mode components (xf86-video-ati, radeonsi, r600, etc.) talk to the radeon kernel module to submit commands or set up displays.
                Is there really any point to add this to xf86-video-ati ? Wouldn't it be better to add DRI3 support in modesetting instead ? I've read a few times that the plan was to use modesetting for everything in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                  It was reused and improved.
                  Oh good. The code didn't look too similar, but then, it was broken up into several commits and I probably didn't look at the right ones to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
                    Wouldn't it be better to add DRI3 support in modesetting instead ? I've read a few times that the plan was to use modesetting for everything in the end.
                    modesetting driver (one from xserver 1.17) already have DRI3 and DRI2 support, AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                    X