Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon GLAMOR vs. Radeon EXA vs. Catalyst On X.Org Server 1.17

Phoronix: Radeon GLAMOR vs. Radeon EXA vs. Catalyst On X.Org Server 1.17

With Ubuntu 15.04 now shipping X.Org Server 1.17, I've run some 2D performance tests comparing the performance of this newest Ubuntu version when using the open-source Radeon graphics driver -- both with the EXA and GLAMOR acceleration methods -- compared to the new Catalyst Linux driver beta.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Catalyst performance is becoming really good. I have had lots of good improvements with fglrx 15.200.

Tomorrow, there should be an official Catalyst 15.3 beta drop.

Comment

I wondering, which one Qt4 graphics system would be faster: raster on EXA, native on GLAMOR on Mesa, or native on GLAMOR on fglrx?

(Yeah, I know, it doesn't matter since KDE5 is already here.)

Comment

chrome/firefox

how well firefox/chrome work today with amd drivers?

Comment

Any chance of a Catalyst vs Catalyst benchmark? I'd really like to see if there's anything changing between versions, apart from the number.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            I wondering, which one Qt4 graphics system would be faster: raster on EXA, native on GLAMOR on Mesa, or native on GLAMOR on fglrx?

The last I heard-- this may have changed since then-- raster was always the safer bet to use not only for performance but also for stability.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Anyone else notice that GLAMOR seems to have performance issues with drawing round interface objects?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

Probably raster, at least in benchmarking - it doesn't matter what driver you use in that case, as it doesn't use xrender or the gpu at all.

The CPU stays busier though, since it's not offloading any of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  how well firefox/chrome work today with amd drivers?
                  I have an r9 290 on Mesa 10.5, Xorg 1.17, kernel 3.18.6 atm (aka Arch) and use both browsers daily. I haven't had any issues with anything except accelerated video (whch I have now almost completely disabled - I disable vdpau everywhere, and I don't use the vaapi vdpau backend) since it pretty much never works at all in my experience - at best, trying to seek the video crashes the player, in general it just freezes, desyncs, has graphical glitches, or gets stuck in a perma-buffer loop forever no matter what program is using it.

The real problem right now is VLC, since 2.2 it basically is unusable with any acceleration method, so I've been using the KDE Dragon player happily for the last month or so. But hardware accelerated video isn't important at all to me, so having to use software h264 is no problem. But vdpau (or vdpau as a vaapi backend) for radoensi on a 290 is definitely completely broken on Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    or vdpau as a vaapi backend
                    It's just a shoot into the blue but did you try vaapi directly (without wrapping it to vdpau)? This is supported since (IIRC) Mesa 10.5:
                    Code:
                    $ vainfo
                    libva info: VA-API version 0.35.1
                    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
                    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/r600_drv_video.so
                    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35
                    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
                    vainfo: VA-API version: 0.35 (libva 1.3.1)
                    vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
                    vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                          VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileMPEG4Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileH264Baseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
                          VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
                    In case you're missing the file (that was the case on my gentoo mashine) just symlink it:
                    Code:
                    $ ls -l /usr/lib64/va/drivers/r600_drv_video.so
                    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 21. Feb 19:00 /usr/lib64/va/drivers/r600_drv_video.so -> /usr/lib64/dri/gallium_drv_video.so*

Comment

Working...
                    X