Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux vs. OS X Performance Tests Should Be Run Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Linux vs. OS X Performance Tests Should Be Run Next?

Phoronix: What Linux vs. OS X Performance Tests Should Be Run Next?

A new Apple Mac Mini happened to arrive at Phoronix that sports Intel Iris Graphics. It's now time to start benchmarking this Apple system with Intel Core i5 processor and run some comparative tests against Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenGL performance with nvidia blob and how many clicks it takes to do same thing in OS X and Gnome. EDIT: it seems this box doesn't have nvidia card..
    Last edited by Guest; 22 March 2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Let's talk seriously, Michael.

I for one do NOT want to see:
      1) storage performance tests because either you have a slow rotating media or ultra fast SSD
      2) OpenGL tests because most people who use Linux do NOT play games or play very simple games

What I want to see
      1) YouTube's CPU utilization tests in Firefox and Chrome, yeah, I'd like to know if Adobe Flash Player is more/less efficient under MacOS X
      2) 2D performance tests (gtkperf, qtperf, various HTML5 demos which require 2D acceleration)
      3) Applications start up tests (i.e. how fast Firefox/Chrome/LibreOffice start in MacOS X/Linux)

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        and how many clicks it takes to do same thing in OS X and Gnome
        This. But also include Windows 8.

Comment

openGL test of course, maybe benchmarking bioshock infinite (among native games too) to see how much eON sucks compared to mac/windows. Also boot times, shutdown times, 2D performance tests as already mentioned, etc

Comment

Docker and Vagrant (Virtualbox) performance/resource usage

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1) storage performance tests because either you have a slow rotating media or ultra fast SSD
              2) OpenGL tests because most people who use Linux do NOT play games or play very simple games
              Why not? I mean...Michael will perform these anyway, and it's nice to have them even if it's just for completude. Benchmarks for newer, more popular (on steam) and open source games would be nice.

1) YouTube's CPU utilization tests in Firefox and Chrome, yeah, I'd like to know if Adobe Flash Player is more/less efficient under MacOS X
              Yeah, that's nice. Also do the same for Chromium and Opera (just because).

3) Applications start up tests (i.e. how fast Firefox/Chrome/LibreOffice start in MacOS X/Linux)
              The same for VLC, Steam, Trasmission, Blender.

My suggestions: boot times, shutdown times, recover-from-suspension(hibernation) times, battery consumption, WiFi/Ethernet tests (range, speed, etc.), compilation speed (GCC, LLVM for C, C++, Fortran, etc.), Python/Ruby/PHP/JavaScript/Java performances, Audio/Video/Image tests and all tests done here. It would be nice to have Wayland measured.

Could you test both Ubuntu and Fedora?

Comment

you can't compare start up speed across OS-s for programs that depend on UI libraries
                example VLC uses QT so it would start way faster under KDE then under GNOME or OSX

Comment

What I want to see
                  2) 2D performance tests (gtkperf, qtperf, various HTML5 demos which require 2D acceleration)
                  Are you really so oblivious to the fact of world around you, that you think all linux users care about the same things?

I've been a linux user for close to 20 years, 15 of them professionally, and I care about OpenGL performance.
                  As there are about a million linux users on Steam I expect I'm not alone with this interest.

Comment

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post
                    Why not? I mean...Michael will perform these anyway, and it's nice to have them even if it's just for completude. Benchmarks for newer, more popular (on steam) and open source games would be nice.

Yeah, that's nice. Also do the same for Chromium and Opera (just because).

The same for VLC, Steam, Trasmission, Blender.

My suggestions: boot times, shutdown times, recover-from-suspension(hibernation) times, battery consumption, WiFi/Ethernet tests (range, speed, etc.), compilation speed (GCC, LLVM for C, C++, Fortran, etc.), Python/Ruby/PHP/JavaScript/Java performances, Audio/Video/Image tests and all tests done here. It would be nice to have Wayland measured.

Could you test both Ubuntu and Fedora?
                    Unfortunately most of those tests mentioned in this post and one of the earlier ones requested can't be fully automated thus won't be tested sans from what's listed right now at http://openbenchmarking.org/tests/pts/ and others contributed by the community.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X