Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rootless XWayland Support Part Of KWin 5.3

Phoronix: Rootless XWayland Support Part Of KWin 5.3

Martin Gr??lin has shared some of his recently-landed work for the KWin 5.3 development cycle as it largely pertains to Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait...this doesn't mean that XWayland would be used by default, does it? If nothing actually supports Wayland without X yet, then there will be a big performance hit. I was hoping to avoid the switch to Wayland until I could run my computer without X...even if it meant using a couple of dev builds.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Rootless XWayland Support Part Of KWin 5.3

Martin Gr??lin has shared some of his recently-landed work for the KWin 5.3 development cycle as it largely pertains to Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...land-Changes-1
      Kristian H?gsberg has changed "The UNIX GUI World ". Old X slowly retires.Goodbye old friend . 🌿

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        Wait...this doesn't mean that XWayland would be used by default, does it? If nothing actually supports Wayland without X yet, then there will be a big performance hit. I was hoping to avoid the switch to Wayland until I could run my computer without X...even if it meant using a couple of dev builds.
        You can run GNOME 3.14 on Wayland with XWayland and it is kind of usable, though all applications use the X11 backend through XWayland.
        GNOME 3.14 requires XWayland. The gnome-session-wayland package depends on the xwayland package.

GTKs Wayland backend is not mature and does not work satisfactory in GTK 3.14.
        Hopefully GNOME 3.16 and GTK 3.16 will work better with native Wayland.

As for KDE and Qt, I don't know.

Comment

Wait...this doesn't mean that XWayland would be used by default, does it?
          This is just a step towards full wayland support in kwin. There is still a lot left to do.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            You can run GNOME 3.14 on Wayland with XWayland and it is kind of usable, though all applications use the X11 backend through XWayland.
            GNOME 3.14 requires XWayland. The gnome-session-wayland package depends on the xwayland package.

GTKs Wayland backend is not mature and does not work satisfactory in GTK 3.14.
            Hopefully GNOME 3.16 and GTK 3.16 will work better with native Wayland.

As for KDE and Qt, I don't know.
            Gnome works fine with the Wayland backend, at least with radeonsi on the version shipped by default in Arch, with a few quirks (menus in the wrong position, some applications don't support running outside X11, etc.). Of course, that's my experience from about a month and a half ago--may have changed since.

Comment

I guess you are mixing the concepts here.
              There is no reason to use XWayland if you are under X.

Comment

Working...
              X