Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18-GPU NVIDIA/AMD Linux Comparison Of BioShock: Infinite

Phoronix: 18-GPU NVIDIA/AMD Linux Comparison Of BioShock: Infinite

Last week BioShock: Infinite was finally released for Steam on Linux. Following the premiere of that game for Linux, posted were the AMD Catalyst Linux results for this game followed by a preview of the AMD vs. NVIDIA graphics card results. For those curious about the performance of this game for a broader graphics card selection, here's the BioShock: Infinite results from eighteen different graphics cards while running this new Linux game.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, these numbers caught me by surprise, I sortof expected them to be at witcher2's level at realease at least, especially on older gen cards (fermi).

Comment

Have you spoken to AMD re the source of this CPU bottleneck which causes every game to hit a wall and refuse to go faster? We see it happening in every modern graphically demanding linux game.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Have you spoken to AMD re the source of this CPU bottleneck which causes every game to hit a wall and refuse to go faster? We see it happening in every modern graphically demanding linux game.
        From what I've read in Mantle/Vulkan, and Directx 12 specs/docs, it's most likely API calls.

Edit: Also, NVidia hits a stone wall at 127 fps
        Last edited by profoundWHALE; 24 March 2015, 12:26 PM.

Comment

As stated in here may people are facing a deadlock condition with AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU. Michel can you please do a benchmark with at least only GTX 980 and any AMD CPU?

Comment

I somehow doubt that any NVIDIA card runs this at over 60 FPS on Ultra at 1600p.

I have a Core i7 2600K 4.7 Ghz
            NVIDIA GTX 580 with BIOS overclock to 900 Mhz.
            This should be at least equal to a GTX 680.

I run this game at 1440p and on the Ultra preset it drops to 24 FPS even in the menu. I can crank everything up unless it isn't dynamic shadows and ambient occulsion, which absolutely destroys framerates for me. I have dynamics shadows at High and Ambient Occulusion at Low, to play it at around 50-60 FPS.

I also tested turning of __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 in the startup script that it uses. This absolutely changes nothing in terms of framerates.

Maybe this game favors the later NVIDIA chips. Usually games perform well on NVIDIA no matter which chip and the framerates represent actually differences in hardware power.
            Last edited by blackout23; 24 March 2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I somehow doubt that any NVIDIA card runs this at over 60 FPS on Ultra at 1600p.

I run this game at 1440p and on the Ultra preset it drops to 24 FPS even in the menu. I can crank everything up unless it isn't dynamic shadows and ambient occulsion, which absolutely destroys framerates for me. I have dynamics shadows at High and Ambient Occulusion at Low, to play it at around 50-60 FPS.

I also tested turning of __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 in the startup script that it uses. This absolutely changes nothing in terms of framerates.

Maybe this game favors the later NVIDIA chips. Usually games perform well on NVIDIA no matter which chip and the framerates represent actually differences in hardware power.
              The benchmark mode results much higher frame rates than actual gameplay. Try it and you'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                The benchmark mode results much higher frame rates than actual gameplay. Try it and you'll see.
                That sounds like fglrx performance might be just fine for the game

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Specific OpenGL extensions maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    Edit: Also, NVidia hits a stone wall at 127 fps
                    Likely CPU bottleneck at that point, rather then a GPU one.

Historically, ATI/AMD hasn't had the best OGL driver support (I still remember the 2900XT getting CRUSHED in Doom 3), and in recent years, I think it's gotten worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X