Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Dart 1.9 Brings More Async Programming

Phoronix: Google's Dart 1.9 Brings More Async Programming

Google's Dart team has announced the release of Dart 1.9 today with new async and await support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay! Now we get to read comments about how awful js is from people who infrequently, if ever, use it.

Comment

It is bad

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Yay! Now we get to read comments about how awful js is from people who infrequently, if ever, use it.
      How many languages do you know or have experience with? Js is bad, you would know that if you understood its history and its semantics well versus other languages. Not saying that Dart is that great either, but javascript is one of the worst languages I have ever used(and yes I have programmed plenty with it, who has not?).

Comment

Originally posted by jacobgood1 View Post
        How many languages do you know or have experience with? Js is bad, you would know that if you understood its history and its semantics well versus other languages. Not saying that Dart is that great either, but javascript is one of the worst languages I have ever used(and yes I have programmed plenty with it, who has not?).
        As far as dynamic languages go, JS is one of the better ones.

If you think JS is one of the worst languages you've ever used, you obviously have never used Ruby or Python, now go sit in a corner and reflect on your life.

I said sit in a corner, NOW.

Comment

no

Originally posted by oneofone View Post

If you think JS is one of the worst languages you've ever used, you obviously have never used Ruby or Python, now go sit in a corner and reflect on your life.

Let us be a tad bit more objective. How many semantic gotchas does python or ruby have in comparison to js. As far as dynamic languages go have you ever used common lisp or smalltalk? How about clojure? Js is a joke.

Comment

What semantic inconsistencies does python or ruby have in comparison to javascript(hint js has so many there are entire posts, books, speeches dedicated to it, I suggest you give up before comparing such a drastically pathetic language that was created in mere days). Here ill get us started... variable hoisting...lol. BTW, I do not give a crap about python or ruby, so do not assume that I do.

Comment

JS is a bad designed language and is becoming assembly of the web.To compete with native app,web need real good languages(scalability,maintainability,tooling,perf ormance,etc..) to write big things(not just boring script,web pages).So there are many languages are doing their best to compile to js.As for python,ruby,they are also trying to make changes(type hints,JITed,LLVM Optimized).
              Last edited by hooluupog; 27 March 2015, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                Um, this statement show your ignorance. First, Dart directly interops with javascript. What does this mean? It means that Dart Programmers deal with Javascript all the time. In fact, a large number of Dart projects use javascript under the hood, since Dart also compiles to Javascript when needed.

So, when they say that JS is awful, they have the experience to back that up. And truthfully, most of those that dislike JS say JS is not currently well suited to write multi-million line apps, not that it is awful in all respects. But, there is a market for multi-million lines of code apps on the web, so Dart works for them.

Now, Dart has one other huge advantage over JS, that is effectively defeated by it not being inside current browsers. It is regularly twice as fast for the same applications as JS when running natively in the Dart VM. This is thanks to the guys that created the language. They are the same guys that brought us the V8 JS engine, and they took their knowledge of how bad JS performs, and fixes most of those issues by designing the language to be fast by default. You can see this speed boost inside Dartium, a version of Chromium that includes the Dart VM.

And, unlike JS, Dart was designed to be useable as a server from the beginning, so the core language has first class support for working in that environment, versus JS which took a decade to get something like node.js and Rhino. Even Mozilla, the effective birthplace of JS, is inventing a new language, due to JS's shortcomings.
                Last edited by dragorth; 27 March 2015, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hooluupog View Post
                  JS is a bad designed language and is becoming assembly of the web.To compete with native app,web need real good languages(scalability,maintainability,tooling,perf ormance,etc..) to write big things(not just boring script,web pages).So there are many languages are doing their best to compile to js.As for python,ruby,they are also trying to make changes(type hints,JITed,LLVM Optimized).
                  It originally was but it's getting better. Node.js is a shining example of a good language loosely based on JS. I honestly think JS itself will head same way dropping ambiguous crap and legacy garbage eventually. The process is just very slow as there still are a lot of old browsers around (primarily Internet Explorer and Firefox' long-term-support version)

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    It originally was but it's getting better. Node.js is a shining example of a good language loosely based on JS. I honestly think JS itself will head same way dropping ambiguous crap and legacy garbage eventually. The process is just very slow as there still are a lot of old browsers around (primarily Internet Explorer and Firefox' long-term-support version)
                    Um, Node.js IS JavaScript. Period. It has Libraries that make it better suited to a server environment, but it IS Javascript. In fact, it uses the same engine Chrome uses, V8, they just stripped it out of Chrome.

They are currently supporting the ECMAScript 5.1 version of JavaScript, which is one of the reasons that IO.JS split as the latest V8 supports ECMAScript 6. Now IO.JS supports ECMAScript 6.

But it all is JavaScript. Everybit of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X