Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 Final Beta Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 Final Beta Released

Adam Conrad, on the behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team, tonight announced the final beta of the Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid Vervet" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Redundancies here and there...

They should have mentioned that they are running redundant logging ang time synchronization mechanisms. I have been running an up-to-date 15.04 install, and I found out that they have not yet chosen between logging with systemd-journald or rsyslog, instead they run both! (talk about being inefficient!). One will find the existence of both /var/log/syslog (rsyslog) and /var/log/journal (systemd-journald).

Perhaps this may be because of their reporting tools and log capturing daemons still using syslog instead of pulling from systemd-journald.

I have purged rsyslog, but not without first providing a dummy package for it, lest it removes other essential packages necessary for a smooth upgrade. Also, I had to switch pulseaudio to use systemd-journald via --log-target=journal (which defaults to --log-target=syslog) in /etc/pulse/client.conf.

The same goes for time synchronization. Both systemd-timesyncd and ntpdate are attempting to synchronize system time with NTP servers (and both have different configs at that!). I have also purged ntpdate in favor of systemd-timesyncd, but not without first providing another dummy package for ntpdate.

Also, one will find traces of upstart (even though they have switched over to systemd init!). I found out that the indicators still rely on the upstart daemon, which is run in user-mode when said indicators are activated. Moreover, xsessions are started with upstart if one does not comment out the sessions for which upstart will run in /etc/upstart-sessions.

This makes logging xsession errors be borken up into multiple log files in ~/.cache/upstart/, instead of one single log file: ~/.xsession-errors.

The presence of upstart will create multiple entries in grub, which will allow one to choose which init daemon to start, with systemd being the default. This can be changed in /etc/grub.d/10_linux by modifying the SUPPORTED_INITS variable.

I'm guessing by 15.10 (16.04?) they would have sorted out these redudancies, and change some daemon config defaults to reflect this. But for now, I would say that this release remains unpolished under-the-hood.

Comment

I have the general sense that Ubuntu releases before 10.10 were all pretty consistently high quality, but after that point the LTS releases were great and the ones in between less so.

However, I didn't stick with 14.04 LTS because I wanted newer versions of the radeon driver for my AMD video card. I've been running 15.04 for over a month without problems.

While running both logging daemons is wasteful, it does make the transition to systemd easier to manage for their developers - and also for users uncomfortable with the change. I don't think it's a serious problem. If I were running Ubuntu on a server, I would stick with 14.04 anyway. As a desktop user, double logging isn't a problem.

Comment

Ugly Firefox issue with new X server

If I fully update my OS which is based on Ubuntu to the current Vivid package set, Firefox refuses to open, giving a "cannot open display" error. This error comes up even if I specify display=0, which will open gedit just fine. If I roll back X from xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.17.1-0ubuntu3 (current version) to xorg-core_2%3a1.16.2.901-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb and related packages, Firefox opens fine. This occurs no matter what version of Firefox I run, no matter what Apparmor profile (or none) I run Firefox with.

I suspect some change to X security policies is blocking Firefox but have no idea how to diagnose or fix it. Torbrowser, which is based in Firefox, works fine. I will shortly file a bug report on this but right now have to go get groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          If I fully update my OS which is based on Ubuntu to the current Vivid package set, Firefox refuses to open, giving a "cannot open display" error.
          There is no error for Firefox here on my end, running Xubuntu 15.04. See the following versions:
          Code:
          firefox:
            Installed: 37.0~b7+build1-0ubuntu1

xserver-xorg-core:
            Installed: 2:1.17.1-0ubuntu3

Comment

Are you running from a new install or a rolling OS?

Originally posted by braveheartleo View Post
            There is no error for Firefox here on my end, running Xubuntu 15.04. See the following versions:
            Code:
            firefox:
              Installed: 37.0~b7+build1-0ubuntu1

xserver-xorg-core:
              Installed: 2:1.17.1-0ubuntu3
            I'm running a longstanding OS that originally installed as early alpha Precise and when each new alpha comes along get the repos updated. Reinstalls are always from a last known good image of the filesystem, never from a new install. I wonder if some path issue or environment issue meant for older, less restrictive versions of X is the issue here, remember that /etc probably has few of the current defaults on something this old and this hacked.

Comment

This is from a clean install of the / filesystem (with a separate /home that remains untouched since Precise, and that which has been used with another Debian-based rolling distro from the past since then).

I do plan on using this as a base install and upgrading every 6 months or so thereafter, but I fear doing so might lead at some point to such cases as yours. So as a backup plan I keep track and make copies of those files I modified in /etc on another folder for easy, albeit manual restoration work, and keep a list of current packages installed, just in case I decide to start from scratch.

I wonder if some path issue or environment issue meant for older, less restrictive versions of X is the issue here, remember that /etc probably has few of the current defaults on something this old and this hacked.
              Haven't logs provided you with a hint indicating such?

Debian Sid is not so great a rolling distro make if it freezes and slows down to a crawl alongside an imminent stable release every few years.

Comment

Found the problem, the new Xserver needs a new apparmor profile

Originally posted by braveheartleo View Post
                This is from a clean install of the / filesystem (with a separate /home that remains untouched since Precise, and that which has been used with another Debian-based rolling distro from the past since then).

I do plan on using this as a base install and upgrading every 6 months or so thereafter, but I fear doing so might lead at some point to such cases as yours. So as a backup plan I keep track and make copies of those files I modified in /etc on another folder for easy, albeit manual restoration work, and keep a list of current packages installed, just in case I decide to start from scratch.

Haven't logs provided you with a hint indicating such?

Debian Sid is not so great a rolling distro make if it freezes and slows down to a crawl alongside an imminent stable release every few years.
                I normally confine Firefox with as tight an apparmor profile as possible, found that this profile requires modification to work with the new Xorg. Worked fine on a test with the apparmor profile deleted, I will shortly have it running with a new profile. In yesterday's testing I simply forgot to reload appamor's profiles after moving the file to a backup location.

Comment

Working...
                X