Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Android Support Is Currently In Bad Shape

Phoronix: Mesa's Android Support Is Currently In Bad Shape

While Mesa is talked about as being able to be built for Google's Android operating system to run these open-source graphics drivers on Android devices with OpenGL ES support, in reality there's a lot left to be desired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What does Google use instead of Mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
      What does Google use instead of Mesa?
      Android uses proprietary drivers for OpenGL support. (provided by the SOC manufacturer)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Android uses proprietary drivers for OpenGL support. (provided by the SOC manufacturer)
        I think he mean what Anrdoid x86 devices with Intel HD graphics using currently.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
          I think he mean what Anrdoid x86 devices with Intel HD graphics using currently.
          Still the same answer.

Comment

I did some digging about this and this is what I found.

Comment

Originally posted by silversurfer View Post
              Still the same answer.
              yeah, looking at gl_vendor strings from intel android devices, I come to the same sad conclusion.. :-(

Comment

With a GSoC student interesting in going through and exploding the
                freedreno driver (amongst others) I've decided that it's a nice idea to
                double check how chaotic things are wrt the Android build.
                Does anybody know a reference to that student? I see some mentioning of freedreno here, but can't find anything there.

Comment

Intel maintains a private-code version of their Android driver for Bay Trail devices. It's called UFO graphics. And it is available in binary form for free.

Intel commits most changes to Mesa, but the problem is that there is really a lack of maintainers. Same can be said with AMD. It would be nice if companies would get behind this, but at Console OS.

We only support private code drivers right now... not because that's how we want it, but because we wouldn't have gotten hundreds of thousands of working installs without it.

Comment

Originally posted by krach View Post
                    Does anybody know a reference to that student? I see some mentioning of freedreno here, but can't find anything there.
                    there is a thread on freedreno list:

(one of those msgs has link to GSoC proposal)

Comment

Working...
                    X