Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 7.0 To Enable LFE Remixing By Default

Phoronix: PulseAudio 7.0 To Enable LFE Remixing By Default

Queued up in Git for the next version of PulseAudio, v7.0, is the enabling of LFE remixing by default after some upstream work was done by Canonical developers working on Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

at first i thought "wtf is LFE" then i thought "why the f are they calling a low pass filter and consequent router FLE"
    then i read the wikipedia article on LFE and... why the f are they using that name, it's a commercial name not an audio one

version 7 and still no where near a proper sound server

Comment

Originally posted by git commit
      + * Copyright (C) 2010 Google Inc. All rights reserved.
      + *
      + [?]
      + * 3. Neither the name of Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") nor the names of
      + * its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
      + * from this software without specific prior written permission.
      Why would anyone use the name Apple Computer to promote code written by Google?

Comment

They should've waited until the 7.1 release, am I right?

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        If anyone employed by Apple contributes to the code, then they have to state that I guess.

Comment

You can blame Google for using the WebKit-flavor of the BSD license.

Comment

More importantly, the name has long since been legally changed to Apple Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
              at first i thought "wtf is LFE" then i thought "why the f are they calling a low pass filter and consequent router FLE"
              then i read the wikipedia article on LFE and... why the f are they using that name, it's a commercial name not an audio one

version 7 and still no where near a proper sound server
              I'm not aware of LFE being a commercial name... whether it is or isn't, almost all computer sound cards that support 5.1 or 7.1 audio have a LFE/center jack - usually the orange one, IIRC.

Also, what's wrong with PA? The only issue I have with it right now is I can't seem to get digital audio to work in surround sound. Aside from that, I think its pretty good now. It used to be disasterous but that was like... 5 years ago.

Anyway I'm glad PA finally makes LFE remixing a default. I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. It isn't difficult to configure yourself but it's still annoying to have to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I'm not aware of LFE being a commercial name... whether it is or isn't, almost all computer sound cards that support 5.1 or 7.1 audio have a LFE/center jack - usually the orange one, IIRC.

Also, what's wrong with PA? The only issue I have with it right now is I can't seem to get digital audio to work in surround sound. Aside from that, I think its pretty good now. It used to be disasterous but that was like... 5 years ago.
                as an audio output, yes
                this is about a low-pass filter to get that low frequencies from other channels

PA does not do digital audio properly
                buffer length (latency) is in milliseconds, instead of number of frames
                internal representation is in floats and internal signal handling is completely messed up
                when doing resampling the same filter could/should be modified with a low/high/band pass/stop filter to enable a simple graphical equalizer (per source, no extra computational cost)
                most of the time it shouldn't even be doing resampling, but instead just switching the sound cards state (when there is only one source or all sources have the same format)
                it abuses the kernel part of alsa (pointer play instead of a regular, fixed length, ring buffer)
                most important thing is that it does not use shared memory to transfer audio from an application, it uses sockets (and it does not support routing to an app, afaik, that a sound server should do)

i'm sure there are some things i forgot
                in short, it needs a complete rewrite (API and it itself) and then, when it's done properly, be moved in the kernel

don't get me wrong, these guys understand digital audio way better then the original author did
                but 7 major versions in and still the basic stuff that should have been there from the start is missing
                Last edited by gens; 30 March 2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  in short, it needs a complete rewrite (API and it itself) and then, when it's done properly, be moved in the kernel
                  And then they could rename it to something like "advanced linux sound architecture"

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
                    And then they could rename it to something like "advanced linux sound architecture"
                    Maybe KLANG? http://klang.eudyptula.org

Remember that vaporware?

Comment

Working...
                    X