Why KDE's KWin Doesn't Integrate Weston/QtCompositor For Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why KDE's KWin Doesn't Integrate Weston/QtCompositor For Wayland Support

Phoronix: Why KDE's KWin Doesn't Integrate Weston/QtCompositor For Wayland Support

KDE developers have been porting their Plasma 5 + KDE Frameworks 5 stack over to Wayland, but at this point it's not nearly as mature as the GNOME Wayland support. As such, KDE developers have to fend off questions from time-to-time why they don't "just integrate QtCompositor" or the Weston library for speeding up their efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Beause it's better to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      Sometimes it is. What happened to compiz. In the end it was too unstable... And KDE made the right choice of integrating compositor into kwin and not using compiz.

Comment

No, it's not Gnome.

Comment

as you read my blog post, you might have noticed that the tires don't fit.

Comment

not when 1 out of 2 happened
            - everything was checked before reaching that decision
            - original project was made with custom compositors in mind, so making custom compositor for KDE actually follows the guidelines

note that in this case both happened and one must admit due diligence. i'm no KDE user, but this decision is probably best in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
              Or if the wheels are square which most definitely was the case with Weston at least some time back. As a user wanting to use Plasma I approve of the idea of rather doing things properly than fast but I am a little concerned that it appears as an end-user if DM for Wayland was still a reasonably open question for KDE. GDM already defaults to Wayland at this point

Comment

KDE has always been very independant, which is both a weakness and a strenght.

Anyway on the long run they always provide a good and complete environment, if you stick to stable releases.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
                  Maybe the car is just too big?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Or if the wheels are square which most definitely was the case with Weston at least some time back. As a user wanting to use Plasma I approve of the idea of rather doing things properly than fast but I am a little concerned that it appears as an end-user if DM for Wayland was still a reasonably open question for KDE. GDM already defaults to Wayland at this point
                    Well wayland port missed sddm 0.9, but maybe it's ready for next version.

Comment

Working...
                    X