Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie Gets A Release Date

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie Gets A Release Date

There's a concentrated plan now to try to release Debian 8.0 "Jessie" by the end of April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I almost say: Well, that's too bad since I have to upgrade several Debian 7 machines then

Comment

It will be interesting when the other Debian-Distros like Raspbian will also update to Jessie. Especially a native Jessie for the Raspberry Pi 2 with proper support.

Comment

I won't be so fast to update my debian boxes, there are too many rough corners to deal with (essentialy, the systemd switch and the need to rework all service files for programs that are not pure Unix-compliant services (like game servers, teamspeak servers, game server remote control bots, etc).

Comment

Personally I can't wait for this. I run Arch on my workstation, but the servers are Debian. I have gotten very used to systemd, so it'll be nice to finally not struggle with some things on the servers.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Personally I can't wait for this. I run Arch on my workstation, but the servers are Debian. I have gotten very used to systemd, so it'll be nice to finally not struggle with some things on the servers.
            This!
            I have a mix of Arch for desktops/laptops, and CentOS for servers. I was glad when EL7 released, and finally enabled me to switch my servers to systemd. Now everything is systemd, and I can finally learn it properly.
            With Debian 8 moving to systemd, all downstream will get it for free, meaning that almost any distro I touch has systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
              I won't be so fast to update my debian boxes, there are too many rough corners to deal with (essentialy, the systemd switch and the need to rework all service files for programs that are not pure Unix-compliant services (like game servers, teamspeak servers, game server remote control bots, etc).
              Well, but the thing is more or less that the upgrade has to be done at some point, so why not then do it sooner than later

Comment

Nice, I don't use Debian directly but hopefully this means SteamOS can get its B release out sometime this year. Would like a newer kernel and bluez for peripheral support. I use Arch and home and mostly RHEL derivatives at work (CentOS/Fedora) so this won't effect me too much directly but it's nice that it's finally happening.

Does this release mean that all major distros are now finally standardized on systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  Nice, I don't use Debian directly but hopefully this means SteamOS can get its B release out sometime this year. Would like a newer kernel and bluez for peripheral support.
                  Was thinking the same here, but maybe I'll just do the opposite. Run Debian or an abuntu based LTS version (maybe Kodibuntu) and install steam, voipclient, Dolphin WII emulator, etc. Just start those using the kodi interface. The SteamOS interface is sadly completly closed (even the interface parts) and can't show external libraries, can only starts other executables. In our home, the tv-computer is mostly used for streaming-tv and music. Kodi is better equiped for those use cases and has an nice library view for inventory from external apps.

Downside is that I'll probably have to patch the driver for the xbox controller rumble and wireless support(when win 10 is launched). Also need to keep my binary drivers up-to-date, which is risky when using Steam + Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                    This!
                    I have a mix of Arch for desktops/laptops, and CentOS for servers. I was glad when EL7 released, and finally enabled me to switch my servers to systemd. Now everything is systemd, and I can finally learn it properly.
                    With Debian 8 moving to systemd, all downstream will get it for free, meaning that almost any distro I touch has systemd.
                    grumble.

I've tried to use systemd for servers, I made a test-VM and the first thing I tried with it It completely failed at:

Which is starting up with problems with storage.

If systemd can't find the disks the system is configured with, it will fail to start. OK, this is kind of what you'd expect. But not in the way it does it:

I tried a bunch of distros. On one distro it would just wait indefinitely for the missing disk to show up, on an other it would wait 5 minutes or more (it seemed like a really long time to have to sit their waiting) before it gave up and wouldn't continue starting.

There doesn't seem to be any usable single-user mode to fix things either.

Sorry, but it's not useful for servers right now.

Instead of dealing with that I looked at how to install an other init on Debian for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X