Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Supports Targeting Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Supports Targeting Linux

Microsoft announced their Visual Studio 2015 line-up this week, but why is it important for Linux users/developers?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Omgomgomgomg. Maybe it will be usable via wine!

Comment

You sure this isn't a day late and it was supposed to be an April Fools joke?

At first I was surprised, but now that I think about it the decision makes sense for Microsoft.

Huge companies have the money to burn and don't care. The cost of switching from Windows to Linux - or Linux to Windows - once you already have a huge infrastructure is so high that continuing to pay Microsoft Server licenses and support contracts is relatively cheap.

Small companies have been avoiding Microsoft and abandoning Microsoft already - LAMP, Java software stacks (on Linux), MEAN (on Linux). So .NET + Linux at least lets Microsoft get a foothold back in this area.

That's not to say I like it. I still want Microsoft to crash and burn. But I think I understand the logic behind this move.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Supports Targeting Linux

Microsoft announced their Visual Studio 2015 line-up this week, but why is it important for Linux users/developers?..

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...5-Linux-Suppor
        The bigger thing imo would be if VS was ported to Linux and you could target Windows from there. Linux build farms are by far easier to manage than Windows ones

Comment

I'd actually love to see Visual Studio on Linux, it's a very nice IDE, i'm happily living without it but I wouldn't hesitate to jump right back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            The bigger thing imo would be if VS was ported to Linux and you could target Windows from there. Linux build farms are by far easier to manage than Windows ones
            Are you an expert in both?

I'm only speaking for myself here. I used to work at a tiny company and we had some Windows Servers. I complained to a friend in the technology industry over all of the headaches I had maintaining their configurations, coordinating security update times so that they didn't affect employees or customers, and managing user accounts and so forth. And worst of all was manually managing our install licenses and tracking the documentation involved. Managing our Linux machines was much easier, I could accomplish everything I needed from one machine with ssh and whenever I screwed up I could do a fresh install. He laughed at me, because he was at a larger firm managing hundreds of Windows machines using automated tools with remote unmanaged software installs, remote scheduled restarts, and so forth and they had a site license for Windows and Office that made license management easy.

My point is, I wonder if managing a Windows server build farm is always a headache, or if there are tools available to make it child's play as long as you have money to burn.

Comment

And which widget toolkit will support?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                He laughed at me, because he was at a larger firm managing hundreds of Windows machines using automated tools with remote unmanaged software installs, remote scheduled restarts, and so forth and they had a site license for Windows and Office that made license management easy.
                He's either lying or simply doesn't know what the real situation is. The latter is more likely, especially if he's some sort of "project manager" who never actually works with the tools he praises so much.

Comment

this is going to make porting over to linux so much easier... especially games.

Comment

As UE4 C++ Programmer I have to say VS is the worst IDE in the world. Slower and more annoying than even Eclipse.

Comment

Working...
                    X