Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libvpx 1.4.0 Brings Faster VP9 Encode/Decode

Phoronix: libvpx 1.4.0 Brings Faster VP9 Encode/Decode

Version 1.4.0 of libvpx was finally released today by Google developers. This new release is codenamed the "Indian Runner Duck."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

..codenamed bla bla
    What's the purpose of codenames in software? To try to come up with silly or funny names?
    I never needed one, not as a dev nor as a user of software.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      What's the purpose of codenames in software? To try to come up with silly or funny names?
      I never needed one, not as a dev nor as a user of software.
      Question is, why should it bother you if you basically don't care.
      On real note, codenames allow for easier feature identification when used properly, but sometimes serve as funny inside jokes (for devs).

I find it nice personally, back when I was a kid, my father and his brothers used to name their cars (and wifes :-)).
      Fathers cars were called "zastava" (flag, flagship) and "korytnacka" (turtle). I see nothing wrong about this habit.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
        bla bla .. codenames allow for easier feature identification when used properly.. bla bla
        For example?

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
          Question is, why should it bother you if you basically don't care.
          It’s annoying when people actually use the codename to refer to the release instead of the version number; then I have no idea what they are talking about. (For example "Debian Jessie"… wtf is that… I have to look it up on the web every time to know if it’s 6 or 7 or whatever.)

Edit: on topic, I’m glad they have finally implemented multithreaded encoding. The encoder might be usable now… I’ll have to try.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            It?s annoying when people actually use the codename to refer to the release instead of the version number; then I have no idea what they are talking about. (For example "Debian Jessie"? wtf is that? I have to look it up on the web every time to know if it?s 6 or 7 or whatever.)
            Right, Ubuntu Shitty Shark or Belchy Banana aren't telling me anything, but Ubuntu 11.04 or 14.10 are, same with the Linux kernel with its weirdo codenames etc.

Comment

For many years now the MPEG LA has been spreading FUD that you shouldn't use VP8/VP9 because at some point down the road groups claiming patents might emerge and sting you, so you should use MPEG technologies instead.

Well it seems all their fear mongering predictions have come true... but for h.265 instead of VP9. Yep, devices using h.265 will soon be paying extortion money to two different groups.

Just goes to show there's no reduced risk of future patent demands when using MPEG formats, so why not go with the technology that doesn't charge you any patent fees upfront?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                Right, Ubuntu Shitty Shark or Belchy Banana aren't telling me anything, but Ubuntu 11.04 or 14.10 are, same with the Linux kernel with its weirdo codenames etc.
                Ubuntu isn't using the incremental alphabet codenames anymore? Yeah they are : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases
                Each version is the next letter in the alphabet.

Of course it doesn't tell whether it's a .04 or a .10 release.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
                  Ubuntu isn't using the incremental alphabet codenames anymore? Yeah they are : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases
                  Each version is the next letter in the alphabet.

Of course it doesn't tell whether it's a .04 or a .10 release.
                  Being able to tell that Masturbating Monkey comes after Lewd Loli is not much use. 15.04 "oh that's the latest release from this month", some weird name "yeah, that's after the previous letter, no idea what it is, when it came out, or anything else useful".

Comment

I vote on curaga getting to figure out code names from now on, laughed out loud at those ones

Comment

Working...
                    X