Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Yet Another Awkward Ubuntu Linux Tablet Announced

Phoronix: There's Yet Another Awkward Ubuntu Linux Tablet Announced

In recent months we've covered an Ubuntu tablet with a 1TB hard drive, another sketchy Ubuntu tablet, and other awkward devices looking to ship Ubuntu in tablet/mobile form without any support from Canonical. There's yet another tablet to talk about today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, hi DJ Pon-3, are you waiting here for a C&D from Hasbro?

Comment

That's definitely My Little Pony

Alright, that first image has to be a silhouette of a My Little Pony character there. I'm almost certain, as I've installed 14.10 countless times and I've never seen the Unicorn look like that.

That said, it's always cool to see more hardware shipping Ubuntu and Linux even if they are small startups or beginners in the industry. I just wish that even the big players would actually sell the Linux/Ubuntu versions in my country (Malaysia). Dell's XPS13 and Alienware X51 seem to only be sold in the Windows 8.1 flavor here, which is very sad.

Comment

Originally posted by PiotrDrag View Post
        Oh, hi DJ Pon-3, are you waiting here for a C&D from Hasbro?
        She's called Vinyl Scratch :P

But yeah, knowing Hasbro, a C&D will probably be sent their way at some point.

On a more serious note, linux-hardware-guide.de disagrees on some of the specs, like the size of the SSD (64GB instead of 16GB)?

Comment

Originally posted by ajs124 View Post
          She's called Vinyl Scratch :P
          That's her real name, DJ Pon-3 is the stage name (and also the one that Hasbro goes with.) :P

Originally posted by ajs124 View Post
          But yeah, knowing Hasbro, a C&D will probably be sent their way at some point.
          I'd be more pissed if they used a fanart without the author's knowledge. But I dunno, maybe they have an artist in-house.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
            Dell's XPS13 and Alienware X51 seem to only be sold in the Windows 8.1 flavor here, which is very sad.
            Is that "across the board" as per your location? Reason I ask is I understand the XPS line was being refreshed, with the newer Windows XPS already out and the Ubuntu XPS "coming soon." Just figured I'd mention it in case you happened to try to get an Ubuntu XPS and saw it as unavailable.

Comment

Hmm, I think Ubuntu for tablets should had been launched months ago even before the phone version...

Comment

Originally posted by roasted View Post
                Is that "across the board" as per your location? Reason I ask is I understand the XPS line was being refreshed, with the newer Windows XPS already out and the Ubuntu XPS "coming soon." Just figured I'd mention it in case you happened to try to get an Ubuntu XPS and saw it as unavailable.
                If I understand your question correctly, yes it is across the board. Since 2013 I've been checking up with them, and it's not for sale with Ubuntu. I'm hoping they change that, but I guess it really depends on local demand.

HP seems to sell their systems with Ubuntu locally, but my lord I hate HP. Their laptop build quality has deteriorated so badly in recent years from personal experience, I won't go with them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  Hmm, I think Ubuntu for tablets should had been launched months ago even before the phone version...
                  On what do you base your opinion? The phone version of Unity 8 is more mature than the tablet version which is more mature than the desktop version. My opinion is based on videos and statements from the Unity 8 development team on the status of the project.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    On what do you base your opinion? The phone version of Unity 8 is more mature than the tablet version which is more mature than the desktop version. My opinion is based on videos and statements from the Unity 8 development team on the status of the project.
                    Am talking about the context of focus, not dev status.

Windows is now on a ton of tablets, specially Chinese ones, even with dual boot. Because is almost free for them to grab or market as another option or feature.

Right now there's 0 Ubuntu tablets in the market and kinda just 1 phone, because they chose the route with higher resistance and expectations.

I would had purchased a couple of u tabs for my kids already. They primarily just browse and watch YouTube vids...

Comment

Working...
                    X