Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Ported To A ~$30 AMD AM1 Motherboard

Phoronix: Coreboot Ported To A ~$30 AMD AM1 Motherboard

For those searching for a low-cost system/motherboard for experimenting with Coreboot, there's another new AMD motherboard that now works with Coreboot's upstream Git code. The board costs only about $30 USD and works with all modern AMD AM1 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whats not working? Special Standby is interesting.

Comment

Yeess! Huzzah! That's nearly the one I have, should be the one just without the additional PCI (via PCIe2PCI bridge chip). They all had very similar layouts. And for the money I might just buy that one. Besides Biostar is horribly slow when it comes to fixing the BIOS (firmware / AGESA errors discovered by Rudolf Marek) so you're better off running something real like Coreboot + payload.
      This is good news.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Just wonder how hard is "installation" process?

Comment

Hell Yeah!

Comment

Looks like a nice board for a private server or so.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Looks like a nice board for a private server or so.
              You be better off buying an Asus etc.... Not much more cost and better components.... I only researched some but all signs point to this being an absolute crapshoot of a board.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                You be better off buying an Asus etc.... Not much more cost and better components.... I only researched some but all signs point to this being an absolute crapshoot of a board.
                I was just thinking that those crapshoot boards might actually be the best way to get Coreboot out there and tested. Reduce the Chinese/American warehouse storage as well. It might turn some crapshot boards in to less-than crapshot with a better BIOS. Coreboot benefits from a bigger product base, with that the 'advertising' from more exposure and word of mouth as always, and obviously more real-world scenario's for receiving testing and bug reports.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  Huh? Seems you did some thorough research, Sir.

ASUS is NOT always of good quality, believe me. I've dealt with them. Also a lot of manufacturers put chips on board that are a no-go (yet) for our beloved penguin. I own one of these Biostar AM1 boards and they are definitely not to be seen in any relation to crap. They have a few downsides like every mainboard - you can't ever have all good things in one. E.g. they had planned to release a DVI version but that was never available so I had to use the one with HDMI (sucks) and VGA (okay). While their BIOS/UEFI works and gets the job done it barely ever sees updates.
                  But then, these boards offer a lot of interfaces for the small form factor and the chips soldered here do work with Linux and - as I predicted in my review of the AM1MHP - Coreboot. Because, be it a random thing or not, finally someone soldered a SuperIO / EC that works.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Huh? Seems you did some thorough research, Sir.

ASUS is NOT always of good quality, believe me. I've dealt with them. Also a lot of manufacturers put chips on board that are a no-go (yet) for our beloved penguin. I own one of these Biostar AM1 boards and they are definitely not to be seen in any relation to crap. They have a few downsides like every mainboard - you can't ever have all good things in one. E.g. they had planned to release a DVI version but that was never available so I had to use the one with HDMI (sucks) and VGA (okay). While their BIOS/UEFI works and gets the job done it barely ever sees updates.
                    But then, these boards offer a lot of interfaces for the small form factor and the chips soldered here do work with Linux and - as I predicted in my review of the AM1MHP - Coreboot. Because, be it a random thing or not, finally someone soldered a SuperIO / EC that works.
                    Thank you for your insight, however why do you say HDMI sucks?

Comment

Working...
                    X