Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon LLVM Code Generation Improvements Being Worked On

Phoronix: Radeon LLVM Code Generation Improvements Being Worked On

It's been a while since last having any major breakthroughs to talk about for the open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver stack, but steady work continues. Some recent Mesa commits to Git highlight some code generation improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess AMDGPU is still going through a lengthy IP review.

Comment

BTW, there are Radeon shader code generation improvements being made in the LLVM backend all the time. Mesa mostly doesn't need any, because it would be redundant with what LLVM does.

This particular case is an exception to the rule.

"... steady work continues..." but not in Mesa.
      Last edited by marek; 14 April 2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        BTW, there are Radeon shader code generation improvements being made in the LLVM backend all the time. Mesa mostly doesn't need any, because it would be redundant with what LLVM does.

awesome work so far, tyvm. My new r9-280 runs like a monster with radeonsi including gallium nine (only missing VCE 1.0 for the perfect setup but it can wait)

Btw any advance or testing patch to pass glsl directly to llvm (i think that was what you proposed when asked if radeonsi will use nir -- 100% chance im wrong tho)

Btw, for the haters the radeon R9-280 runs Witcher 2 in ultra with upscaling set at 30+ fps at 1080p(making little visual difference but it runs :O )

Btw, you guys aware UE4 demo fighting scene(and some other cases) generates VM page fault's when using 3.18+ kernels and llvm 3.7?(in tahiti and cape verde at least). if not i can generate a bug report

Comment

Has someone done some tests on some games see if we can measure the influence ? For example with Unigine Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            Btw any advance or testing patch to pass glsl directly to llvm (i think that was what you proposed when asked if radeonsi will use nir -- 100% chance im wrong tho)
            He said he was interested to see what happened if all the optimisation passes for the various IR in Mesa were disabled and everything was left up to LLVM if you have some basic programming knowledge I don't think this would be to hard to try out.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

Just test the quality of RadeonSI (not the performance) with something deep like PCSX2 GSDX-OGL and GSDX-CL. You will see that your driver is an infant that cannot speak.

Comment

Status of radeon OpenCL?

What is the status of radeon OpenCL?
                I would like to use it for photo editing (darktable, NeatImage).

Currently, I'm happy with Catalyst. But, I would try the open source driver if I also could use it for working on raw images.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                  What is the status of radeon OpenCL?
                  I would like to use it for photo editing (darktable, NeatImage).
                  Currently, I'm happy with Catalyst. But, I would try the open source driver if I also could use it for working on raw images.
                  I've been using the free stack for years now and lately I have been building (Gentoo) darktable with opencl support. Sadly I am stressed in this so called "real life" so I had little time for any extensive testing of darktable. But afair. it did not crash or show strange behaviour.

That AMDGPU must be quite a beast that it takes so long. But then, better release something that is stable and working rather than making a quick shot that messes up things.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Radeon LLVM Code Generation Improvements Being Worked On

It's been a while since last having any major breakthroughs to talk about for the open-source Radeon Linux graphics driver stack, but steady work continues. Some recent Mesa commits to Git highlight some code generation improvements...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...M-CodeGen-Work
                    So does r600g llvm codepaths are still disabled and code continues to rot due to it or will be any work put into it?
                    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Working...
                    X