Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.16.1 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.16.1 Released

The first point release to GNOME 3.16 was just officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Good. Now that GNOME 3.16 is stable it is time to verify the compatibility of extensions. It is time for the extension developers and users to step up the testing.
    3.16.0 was first stable release.

Comment

Come on Debian

Let's hope Debian pulls a complete GNOME 3.16.1 seeing as they didn't remotely pull a complete 3.14 [now 3.14.4], nor a 3.12 or a 3.10.

Even this listing is not complete: https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.16-status.html

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        Let's hope Debian pulls a complete GNOME 3.16.1 seeing as they didn't remotely pull a complete 3.14 [now 3.14.4], nor a 3.12 or a 3.10.

Even this listing is not complete: https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.16-status.html
        What do you mean by not complete pull? Mix of different versions?
        With API breakeage here and there with every major version it just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

The only problem I was having was awful font rendering in GDM. Hopefully that's fixed, I'll know soon.

Comment

GDM is fixed now

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            The only problem I was having was awful font rendering in GDM. Hopefully that's fixed, I'll know soon.
            For the GDM fonts became fixed you have to force GDM to use Xorg instead of Wayland (default for open-source drivers in 3.16):

edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the line that says "WaylandEnable=false", my file is like this:
            "
            # GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
            # Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
            WaylandEnable=false
            "

On Arch, GDM 3.16.0 was not reading this file, now with 3.16.1 it does!

Comment

Originally posted by danf View Post
              For the GDM fonts became fixed you have to force GDM to use Xorg instead of Wayland (default for open-source drivers in 3.16):

edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the line that says "WaylandEnable=false", my file is like this:
              "
              # GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
              # Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
              WaylandEnable=false
              "

On Arch, GDM 3.16.0 was not reading this file, now with 3.16.1 it does!
              I'm about to migrate (back) to Arch/Gnome from Ubuntu. I would like to use Wayland instead of X. How does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                What do you mean by not complete pull? Mix of different versions?
                With API breakeage here and there with every major version it just doesn't make any sense.
                The base configuration of apps are not complete. Hell, Gweather as a stand alone has yet to see the light of day. Gnome Books is a new app not even listed. There are more. The fact is that during the entire cycle between 3.14 - 3.16 or 3.12 - 3.14 there has yet to be one release of all the apps [available on other distros] to be present on Debian.

Yet, KDE and Haskell is constantly spewing out updates in Debian.

Right now, Debian is a log jam of KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post
                  I'm about to migrate (back) to Arch/Gnome from Ubuntu. I would like to use Wayland instead of X. How does it work?
                  Use the open source drivers and it should default to Wayland instead of Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                    Use the open source drivers and it should default to Wayland instead of Xorg.
                    Yes, it's an Intel Haswell, there are only open source drivers as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X