Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 Now Under Final Freeze

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 Now Under Final Freeze

Ubuntu 15.04, the Vivid Vervet, is now under its final freeze for its release next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting they went with systemd219, even arch linux has it still under testing.

Comment

Hm...we're getting pretty close to 16.04 LTS yet still no Unity 8/Mir in sight. Is it going to arrive in 15.10 at least? I'm starting to get the feeling they'll miss the LTS target once again.

Comment

Ubuntu just reverted the problematic change in systemd 219, that keeps it in the testing repo

Comment

systemd may have cause of mini.iso errors, can you make Ubuntu from netboot?

Comment

I expected for 10.6 mesa drivers.

Comment

I've been running Ubuntu 15.04 so far. Not perfect, but still great!

From my post (GraysonPeddi as it limits my username to 12 characters) at DSLReports:

This is running Ubuntu 15.04 with Ambiance theme from ppa:l3on/ubuntu-themes-gnome-shell PPA (switched from vivid to utopic) and installed light-themes via sudo apt-get install light-themes=14.04+14.10.20141015-0ubuntu1gnome1utopic2).

I love GNOME Shell, I love elementary OS (although I don't want to be stuck with 14.04 codebase) and I love Ubuntu Unity. I chose Unity in Ubuntu 15.04 because of the ability to always show global menu. But what I do miss is Nautilus that is native to GNOME Shell and I do not see a way to cut the title bar out, but I'm unsure if it had something to do with the Compiz compositor or if it's Unity that enforces it.
              And yeah, I see that Ubuntu 15.04's Unity desktop environment is very close to GNOME 3.14 upstream, but I did not like Nautilus being so stuck with GTK 3.8 look, so since I do have elementary OS PPA, I decided to go with Pantheon-Files and it looked great with Ambiance theme from i3on.

But one thing that I have problems getting it fixed is if I use GNOME Music or elementary OS's noise music player to play music, when the next track starts, I get a dialog popping up that's something like this:

x - Music

Icon: (!)

Spring Dance

by Checkfield, from Distant Thunder

[ Previous ] [ Pause ] [ Next ] [ Cancel ] [ OK ]
              Well, I get that dialog twice every time I play a music track, but I don't want to use Rhythmbox since the title bar of old looked old fashioned to me, but that is very subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                I expected for 10.6 mesa drivers.
                Mesa 10.6 doesn't exist yet. 10.5 is the current release.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Mesa 10.6 doesn't exist yet. 10.5 is the current release.
                  How long for Mesa 10.6 final release?!

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    Interesting they went with systemd219, even arch linux has it still under testing.
                    Ubuntu has used packages which were still beta in the past for previous LTS series. Not sure about this case, but, in one case they did it because if they didn't include the beta, after freeze, they wouldn't have been able to add it to the LTS and they really wanted it.

Of course, what they probably should have done at the time is simply delayed the release a month (there is no shame in delaying a release.. Ask the guys at Fedora). But, at what point of time do you stop delaying?

Either way, I'm sure 15.04 will be quite interesting, but I do look forward for Mir / Wayland (and even more for Nvidia to finally catch up)

Comment

Working...
                    X