Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Ardour 4.0 Audio Software Has Big Improvements

Phoronix: Open-Source Ardour 4.0 Audio Software Has Big Improvements

Version 4.0 of the open-source Ardour audio editing software has been released. Ardour 4.0 brings over a reported 1,000 bug fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ardour is looking very nice, I'm sure. But for pure-MIDI work, I use MuSE Sequencer. It supports JACK-MIDI right out of the box, so I don't need to be running ALSA to JACK MIDI bridge for applications that only use JACK-MIDI. And yes, I once wrote music using only the piano roll in MuSE simply by adding/removing/editing MIDI notes. I'm not a keyboardist, so I do have trouble creating music real-time.

For Ardour, MIDI editing is done in-place within a single window, which makes it impossible for me to work with quickly and efficiently.

Perhaps my video can be of interest? Video Production Project - Computer Center (Made as part of video project during my web development course at Lively Technical Center in Tallahassee, FL.)

After my MIDI-only music production is done, I then recorded everything to Ardour, including the drums from Hydrogen. I don't see why MuSE Sequencer needs support for audio tracks. I've been looking for other MIDI sequencers that only focuses in its strengths and does it very well.

I have used QTractor (Clip->New Clip is very inefficient -- even with a keyboard shortcut assigned) and Rosegarden in the past, but they require an ALSA-JACK bridge in order for ALSA MIDI applications to talk to JACK MIDI applications and back.

Comment

Its good news that Ardour has dropped its hard JACK dependency. If you are using it professionally of course you want to run it on top of a JACK server, but for casual users even over Puleaudio or Alsa IMO its UX is so much better than Audacity's.

Comment

I did not know they had a free source access but paid compiled binaries thing going on, interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
          I did not know they had a free source access but paid compiled binaries thing going on, interesting.
          I think its great. Convenience if you want it, and you support the dev doing it. If you cannot afford it you can just do it yourself.

I think more FOSS projects should do it, honestly. Its not like its abusing IP or anything since you can then redistribute the binaries however you want.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Its good news that Ardour has dropped its hard JACK dependency. If you are using it professionally of course you want to run it on top of a JACK server, but for casual users even over Puleaudio or Alsa IMO its UX is so much better than Audacity's.
            I still don't get why we can't make pulseaudio support the low latencies required and have 2 different servers. How the fuck apple does it and what must change in linux to have the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              I still don't get why we can't make pulseaudio support the low latencies required and have 2 different servers. How the fuck apple does it and what must change in linux to have the same.
              This.

Can someone explain?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                It's pretty simple, Apple does not do it. A low latency sound system specific for professional audio can be used on both Linux and Windows. It's Apple that is missing on functionality and doesn't have anything like that. We don't need what Apple has except, maybe, the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                  It's pretty simple, Apple does not do it. A low latency sound system specific for professional audio can be used on both Linux and Windows. It's Apple that is missing on functionality and doesn't have anything like that. We don't need what Apple has except, maybe, the hype.

AFAIK most pro audio people use OSX. And to add to this Ardour uses the existing audio infrastructure on OSX. Which means it can handle low latency.

Comment

What we need is a low-latency sound server that doesn't suck power and CPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X