Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 In Linux 4.1 Adds File-System Level Encryption

Phoronix: EXT4 In Linux 4.1 Adds File-System Level Encryption

The EXT4 file-system updates for the Linux 4.1 kernel have been sent in and it features the file-system-level encryption support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean no more LUKS?

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
      Does this mean no more LUKS?
      No, it should be compared with eCryptfs.

Comment

What about compatibility with older kernel?

For example if I encrypt an ext4 with a brand new 4.1 kernel will it be readable if I move the disk to another machine with 3.16?

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
          What about compatibility with older kernel?

For example if I encrypt an ext4 with a brand new 4.1 kernel will it be readable if I move the disk to another machine with 3.16?
          How could it be?

Comment

Can i encrypt an existing partition with data on it without re-formatting?

Comment

Passso
              There will be a filesystem feature flag for encryption. If your older kernel does not recognize this flag, it will refuse to mount the filesystem until you manually clear it with e2fsprogs.
              Then you can still access the unencrypted parts of the filesystem. Whether the encrypted parts will be preserved or lost I don't know.

Kemosabe
              I would expect so, same as with eCryptFS.

Comment

Working...
              X