Radeon X.Org Driver Still Trying To Eliminate Tearing, Adds TearFree Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon X.Org Driver Still Trying To Eliminate Tearing, Adds TearFree Option

Phoronix: Radeon X.Org Driver Still Trying To Eliminate Tearing, Adds TearFree Option

In trying to reduce/eliminate visible tearing on the screen, the xf86-video-ati driver is preparing to introduce a new TearFree X.Org option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's great to see that bits and pieces of long-standing Linux problems are finally being addressed.

Alas, the paramount issues are not on anyone's radar.

Comment

Finally. I will enable this when it come about.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Radeon X.Org Driver Still Trying To Eliminate Tearing, Adds TearFree Option

In trying to reduce/eliminate visible tearing on the screen, the xf86-video-ati driver is preparing to introduce a new TearFree X.Org option...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...adeon-TearFree
        Isn't the modesetting driver already tear-free? I switched over to using the modesetting driver when I installed xorg 1.17, and find my user experience much better for it. Drop the -ati driver already, it is not needed any more.
        Last edited by sandain; 21 April 2015, 02:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          It's great to see that bits and pieces of long-standing Linux problems are finally being addressed.

Birdie, don't be troll in the sky

Comment

It's not like that person is the most reliable source of information ever found.

Comment

I use a HD5770 with two monitors, one of them rotated.
              In the rotated one, the tearing is horrible. Meanwhile the main monitor is perfect. It's nice they are fixing a problem I didn't report

Comment

Birdie, regarding that link, the OS that Linux is compared to (regarding things like recovery after display failures and such) have a hybrid kernel that they are running which has quite a bit to do with the good recovery. I'm not suggesting that seL4 + Linux will fix everything, but it makes it easier for things like recovery.
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 21 April 2015, 02:30 PM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

All tear free DEs?
                  That'd be great, cuz radeon+compiz is already tear-free. I setup my first compiz-standalone desktop in this Jan and was surprised to not see tearing anywhere
                  I even played those 'tearing test' videos and could not find single tearing untill I switched to Catalyst.
                  I see lot of tearing now (compared to none xD), I hope AMD does something of their catalyst as well.

Also, I'd love xf86-video-ati to have a GUI configuration tool. Like the one in catalyst.

Comment

Desktop: tearing
                    Games: forced vsync

Currently they know exactly how NOT to do it...

Comment

Working...
                    X