Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.18 Plans For Full Wayland Support, A Scenegraph

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.18 Plans For Full Wayland Support, A Scenegraph

While GNOME 3.16 was just released last month, changes coming ahead for GNOME 3.18 and particularly GTK+ 3.18 are quite exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm big fan of gnome and I'm very happy with their progress. I don't have patience for manjaro to have official gnome edition.

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
      I'm big fan of gnome and I'm very happy with their progress
      And yet the Gnome developers are still very trigger happy in breaking things willy nilly.
      See for example:
      https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=746273

They are stating that an obvious User Interface regression is not really a regression because "GTK+ has never supported this". In reality the functionality was always there, but in Mutter, the window manager.

I'd really like to know what they're smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
        I'm big fan of gnome and I'm very happy with their progress. I don't have patience for manjaro to have official gnome edition.
        I'm also using Manjaro, but Antergos is doing a pretty nice, official GNOME distrib based on Arch too. The only downside is that they chose to use the Numix theme by default. It's not a bad theme, but I prefer the vanilla GNOME
        Anyway, in two clicks you can set the theme back to default.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          I'm also using Manjaro, but Antergos is doing a pretty nice, official GNOME distrib based on Arch too. The only downside is that they chose to use the Numix theme by default. It's not a bad theme, but I prefer the vanilla GNOME
          Anyway, in two clicks you can set the theme back to default.
          Thanks.
          I'm using manjaro over Antergos because it's more stable (one week additional testing and some features added to manjaro like kernel and driver change from gui)

Comment

I really look forward to better Wayland support.

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            The only downside is that they chose to use the Numix theme by default. It's not a bad theme, but I prefer the vanilla GNOME
            You should check out Greybird, egtk (elementary), Zukini, Zukitwo, and Zukitre.

Comment

Originally posted by szclcvmt View Post
              And yet the Gnome developers are still very trigger happy in breaking things willy nilly.
              See for example:
              https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=746273

They are stating that an obvious User Interface regression is not really a regression because "GTK+ has never supported this". In reality the functionality was always there, but in Mutter, the window manager.

I'd really like to know what they're smoking.
              The last guy is right, maximizing vertically works if you use a shortcut.

Comment

(Wrong thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  The last guy is right, maximizing vertically works if you use a shortcut.
                  "This feature is broken"
                  and
                  "The setting that I use to control this feature is now being ignored thanks to a regression"
                  are different things.

Yes, the feature still works. No, that setting doesn't work anymore (on most applications) because Gnome developers don't think things through down to the small details when they make big changes. They deal with them "later".
                  E.g. Gnome 3.0 vs Gnome 3.12
                  One is complete shit and the other is fully usable (and enjoyable to do so).

Comment

Err... judging by Wayland performance in 3.16, I sincerely doubt it will be ready for 3.18

Comment

Working...
                    X