Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's CoreCLR Now Works On FreeBSD

Phoronix: Microsoft's CoreCLR Now Works On FreeBSD

It was back in February that Microsoft open-sourced CoreCLR, the execution engine of the core .NET stack. Besides coming to Linux and other platforms, this MIT-licensed engine has now been ported and is working for FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not working yet, still big step forward

Hi,

as the author of the last PR. What we archived yesterday is a complete build run. So we now have binaries, sadly they do not really work yet. But we continue working on it.

One thing to point out is the fact, that this port was entirely communicant driven. We got great support from Microsoft, but the planning and work was done by community members. I hope that we soon have a working build. OpenBSD and NetBSD is also being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
      Hi,

as the author of the last PR. What we archived yesterday is a complete build run. So we now have binaries, sadly they do not really work yet. But we continue working on it.

One thing to point out is the fact, that this port was entirely communicant driven. We got great support from Microsoft, but the planning and work was done by community members. I hope that we soon have a working build. OpenBSD and NetBSD is also being worked on.
      So from now NT is officially dead?

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
        So from now NT is officially dead?
        What is NT?

Comment

Awesome! it's good to see the community bring up platform support so quickly, even if it's not ready just yet. It's things like this that should convince the remaining holdouts to go open source. The next year or so is going to be an interesting one.

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
            What is NT?
            The kernel of all recent Windows versions.

Comment

Will there be any official open-source application server for asp.net?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                The kernel of all recent Windows versions.
                I'm pretty sure it's not dead yet.

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem odd this language has so many people willing to make this happen? I'm not implying a conspiracy, just trying to understand what drives the rapid progress.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
                    Is it just me or does it seem odd this language has so many people willing to make this happen? I'm not implying a conspiracy, just trying to understand what drives the rapid progress.
                    First, the CoreCLR is not a language. It is a compile target. Just like LLVM-IR and Java Runtime Environment.

To answer your question, C# is a decent language. If Microsoft had made it cross platform from the beginning, then it would be much more popular than it is today. Now, it has that chance. And, since it isn't directly controlled by Microsoft anymore, a lot more people will come to use it.

Now, there will be some that won't since it came from Microsoft, but Microsoft has put enough distance between themselves and the Foundation to bring in the largest majority of the fold.

Comment

Working...
                    X