Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 8.0 Jessie Released

Phoronix: Debian 8.0 Jessie Released

As expected, Debian 8.0 "Jessie" was officially released today after being in development for two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cheers

Comment

I will upgrade the backup server later today. Finally, the last non-systemd machine in my home will be gone.

Comment

Xfce 4.12

Do anyone know how to get Xfce 4.12 on this? Can't find good backport repo.

Comment

Upgraders beware

Be warned that if you upgrade to jessie /usr should not be on a separate filesystem (according to the systemd error message).
          It can be a bit tricky recover from this if you root filesystem does not have the available space, however I was lucky!

Happy upgrading

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Cheers

https://www.google.de/search?q=beer+female+hormones

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
              Be warned that if you upgrade to jessie /usr should not be on a separate filesystem (according to the systemd error message).
              It can be a bit tricky recover from this if you root filesystem does not have the available space, however I was lucky!

Happy upgrading
              Out of curiosity : why did you install using separate /usr? I can think of good reasons for a separate /var and /home, but /usr?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                Out of curiosity : why did you install using separate /usr? I can think of good reasons for a separate /var and /home, but /usr?
                Out of madness ... joking aside - the reason is that /usr is kept on a raid1 for redundancy reasons.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Happy upgrading

Says it all I think.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    separate /usr has quite a long hstory, probably since when OS installs were done from a tarball; there are still some uses for it today

/usr tends to be rather large but compresses well
                    /usr is only modified for package updates, it could be read-only at other times, on a live CD for example
                    /usr contains easily replaceable data and may not need to be on redundant storage
                    /usr could be identical across many systems, you may want to store only one copy of it and NFS-export it out to many machines; or bind-mount it into many containers

Comment

Working...
                    X