Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been Three Years Since The Big Steam Linux Reveal

Phoronix: It's Been Three Years Since The Big Steam Linux Reveal

It was this week three years ago when there was the big Steam Linux reveal when I was over at Valve HQ learning from Gabe Newell about their Steam Linux client plans, their ambitions for a Steam Linux distribution on consoles (now known as SteamOS), and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam on linux? Nah, it'll never 'appen.

Year of the Windows desktop!

No one ever got fired for buying linux
    Hi

Comment

Man that was an exciting time.

It's too bad they threw in the towel.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Man that was an exciting time.

The typical fanboy comment as usual...are u using Mac?

Personally I can't wait for Project Cars with a virtual headset.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          The typical fanboy comment as usual...are u using Mac?
          He's simply trolling or otherwise enjoys spreading false information. So leave it be, don't feed it.

Comment

What I am looking forward to (or hoping) for is that Vulkan can become a widely used industry standard API. Not just on Linux but on Windows too. A simpler graphics ecosystem...

When Vulkan was announced I expected it to be about two years later than directX12 for the spec to be finalized and for working drivers.
            But as it turns out Khronos really got their shit together fast and they are only going to be 5-6 months behind DirectX12 in terms of launch time. Largely thanks to AMD. And Valve too I guess.

Was also impressive to see commitment towards Vulkan from basically every major engine developer. Does it stand a chance to gain traction on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              ?

???

Comment

Three year already. Oh my. And it still sucks. Games are slower than Windows, many times they look worse or don't support all features compared to Windows, drivers still lack the configuration options they offer in Windows, utilities are missing and are only available on Windows (OGL and driver tweakers, Injectors, etc.), the Desktops are still not giving a damn about games (no fullscreen exclusive mode, for example), and many more problems.

Back then I had hoped that Steam's Linux support would result in some major changes for the Linux desktop. How wrong I was.
                Last edited by RealNC; 27 April 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  What I am looking forward to (or hoping) for is that Vulkan can become a widely used industry standard API. Not just on Linux but on Windows too. A simpler graphics ecosystem...

When Vulkan was announced I expected it to be about two years later than directX12 for the spec to be finalized and for working drivers.
                  But as it turns out Khronos really got their shit together fast and they are only going to be 5-6 months behind DirectX12 in terms of launch time. Largely thanks to AMD. And Valve too I guess.

Was also impressive to see commitment towards Vulkan from basically every major engine developer. Does it stand a chance to gain traction on windows?
                  Then I suggest to buy amd gpu to return the kindness. I will do it because of vulkan and open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Three year already. Oh my. And it still sucks. Games are slower than Windows, many times they look worse or don't support all features compared to Windows, drivers still lack the configuration options they offer in Windows, utilities are missing and are only available on Windows (OGL and driver tweakers, Injectors, etc.), the Desktops are still not giving a damn about games (no fullscreen exclusive mode, for example), and many more problems.

Back then I had hoped that Steam's Linux support would result in some major changes for the Linux desktop. How wrong I was.
                    On the positive, there's been more split-screen PC games, which is great for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X