Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.9.2 vs. GCC 5 Benchmarks On An Intel Xeon Haswell

Phoronix: GCC 4.9.2 vs. GCC 5 Benchmarks On An Intel Xeon Haswell

For those craving some more GCC 5 compiler benchmark numbers following last week's release of GCC 5.1, here's some new comparison numbers between GCC 4.9.2 stable and the near-final release candidate of GCC 5.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like there was a noticeable regression on C-Ray but other than that no real difference.

Comment

it looks like the ones where the old gcc wins the most, it is being passed march=native and the new gcc isnt? thats a big difference right there

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
        Looks like there was a noticeable regression on C-Ray but other than that no real difference.
        cray is tracked on AMD hardware at http://gcc.opensuse.org/c++bench-frescobaldi/c-ray/
        and given the fact that internal loop is almost trivial once one specific function (ray_sphere) is inlined (it is not real raytracer, only on balls), I would guess this is more probably a noise, too.

Comment

shouldn't gcc5 be tested with new optimizations it offers instead of using exact same optimization flags as in gcc-4.9 ? what is the point of this benchmark ?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            shouldn't gcc5 be tested with new optimizations it offers instead of using exact same optimization flags as in gcc-4.9 ? what is the point of this benchmark ?
            Even with -O2 or -Ofast the performance should improve between GCC versions. I think the problem is bit more with choice of the benchmarks that often have quite small hand optimized internal loops that are relatively easy to generate code for and thus there is just small margin for improvement from GCC 4.9 (or earlier)

Main areas of improvements (beside hardware enablement and implementing new language features) is improving codegen with LTO, reducing abstraction penalty in modern C++ programs, improving loop optimization (that shows a lot i.e. for numeric programs) and adding support for parallelization (better vectorization, openMP etc.). So if you do benchmarks stressing these you are likely seeing more of difference from release to release

Comment

I'd like to see the results w/o LTO.

Comment

I recompiled my whole system with gcc 5.1 with -Ofast then -O2

I encountered a few problems - the main ones were with Qt5 & Plasma 5 which wouldn't launch correctly - so I've switched back to gcc 4.9

Qt5/Plasma5 seems to have issues with -Ofast too

Comment

what about clang vs gcc ?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    I recompiled my whole system with gcc 5.1 with -Ofast then -O2

I encountered a few problems - the main ones were with Qt5 & Plasma 5 which wouldn't launch correctly - so I've switched back to gcc 4.9

Qt5/Plasma5 seems to have issues with -Ofast too
                    Interesting that you avoided most problems that gentoo found so far : https://bugs.gentoo.org/showdependen...ide_resolved=1

Comment

Working...
                    X