Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adds 64-bit Linux Support To SteamVR

Phoronix: Valve Adds 64-bit Linux Support To SteamVR

In the latest of the frequent updates to SteamVR, Valve has added 64-bit Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Once again, they push a feature used by approx. 2 people, while Steam servers are down for hours almost every day...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Once again, they push a feature used by approx. 2 people, while Steam servers are down for hours almost every day...
      It's a feature many people will use eventually. Also, last time I had to deal with Steam servers being down was during a Christmas sale 2 years ago. Maybe it's just a regional thing?

Comment

Project Cars and X-Plane etc. will be awesome with VR on 64bit. Still need to be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Games ought not to rely on central servers in order to even start.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            Games ought not to rely on central servers in order to even start.
            They don't from what I can tell. Games seem to work fine when steam is in offline mode. A few years ago there were some issues with offline mode but now it seems to be fine.

Comment

Well, I do still have problems with steam when there is no internet connection, it can't login to my account and won't go into offline mode. But as long as I can connect to the internet and login first before going into offline mode it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Well, I do still have problems with steam when there is no internet connection, it can't login to my account and won't go into offline mode. But as long as I can connect to the internet and login first before going into offline mode it works fine.
                When you try to log in, it should fail and ask you if you want to start in offline mode, but I know that's not always the case.

For me, in Linux, when I do have an internet and I try to open up steam, sometimes it'll only launch if I run in offline mode, and then switch to online mode.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  When you try to log in, it should fail and ask you if you want to start in offline mode, but I know that's not always the case.

For me, in Linux, when I do have an internet and I try to open up steam, sometimes it'll only launch if I run in offline mode, and then switch to online mode.
                  I just tried it again just for curiosity to see. It does work the way you describe if I have it set to remember the password and auto login. But otherwise how I usually have it set is to prompt me for login every time. In this case if there is no internet connection it won't go into offline mode. Or at least I haven't figured out how to make it go yet. I can put in my correct username and password, but if there is no internet connection it'll fail and that's that. I don't understand it yet.

Comment

Offline mode can only work if there is a token on the disk that the last login was successful. If you don't store the pw it is never stored - as the pw is verified online it would be unlogical to work the way you use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X