Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.10 Is Codenamed The Wily Werewolf

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.10 Is Codenamed The Wily Werewolf

As expected, the Ubuntu 15.10 codename was announced today during Mark Shuttleworth's virtual keynote for kicking off this week's Ubuntu Online Summit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, silver bullets ready

Comment

Better name then I expected, actually.

Comment

Sigh

I was hoping for Wascally Wabbit.

Comment

Dr. Wily went a bit too far with his experiments there, eh.

Also, once again with mythological creatures, eh.

Comment

Repos are still not up

Until now, each new codename was announced before the previous edition was released, and the new repos were up either the same day a new release came out or within days. As of now (May 4 2PM) still no sign of new repos for this alpha.

Since I have used Ubuntu as a rolling release all the way back to Gutsy, I decided last night I was probably better off with Debian Unstable, upon which Ubuntu alphas are initially based. Between this, the delay in the new repos, and uncertainty around the Snappy plans, I decided to try a cross-distro conversion. It worked, with a few stoppages from overwrite conflicts resolved by replacing the offending packages manually during the long synaptic run. Four hours work and I had a usuable Debian Unstable setup with all my previous work still in it.

It seems I caught both Ubuntu and the Debian Unstable repos at a good moment for this, so I chose to make the conversion while it was possible to do so. Thankfully, not one of my locally built packages broke on this conversion. Even the Sunab Ubuntu PPA version of Kdenlive works fine, when that changes I will simply build it myself as I have done before. I'll have to set up an account with Debian's bug tracker of course. The fact that Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and many other derivatives use the same package manager (for now...) is in my opinion one of the best features of all of them.

No beef with Canonical here, their "convergence" roadmap is simply different than mine, and I no longer have to worry about future divergence from what I am doing. I would still like to see Ubuntu pound the crap out of Windows, and if they can take a bite out of Google's Android too that's even better.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.10 Is Codenamed The Wily Werewolf
              Wanking Walrus

Comment

next up

Now I really expect the "Xenophobic Xenomorph" for 16.04

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  Until now, each new codename was announced before the previous edition was released, and the new repos were up either the same day a new release came out or within days. As of now (May 4 2PM) still no sign of new repos for this alpha.

No beef with Canonical here, their "convergence" roadmap is simply different than mine, and I no longer have to worry about future divergence from what I am doing. I would still like to see Ubuntu pound the crap out of Windows, and if they can take a bite out of Google's Android too that's even better.
                  If you use Ubuntu as rolling release, and use debian unstable, I would suggest to try out fedora, I did also always update to the next ubuntu version at the end in alpha stadium, because I was bored from it.

fedora is on release time fresher and stays longer fresh, with updates for firefox, new kernels, today I gut even a update to emacs 24.5

the "new" ubuntu gnome comes with gnome 3.14, the soon release of fedora 22 will come with gnome 3.16.

Comment

Was hoping for Why, why, why?

Still an option for 16.10 though.

Comment

Working...
                    X