An Ubuntu Phone Will Ship This Year With The Converged Unity Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ubuntu Phone Will Ship This Year With The Converged Unity Experience

Phoronix: An Ubuntu Phone Will Ship This Year With The Converged Unity Experience

During Mark Shuttleworth's keynote this morning to kickoff the Ubuntu Online Summit for Ubuntu 15.10 (codenamed the Wily Werewolf) he also shed a few details about a new Ubuntu phone that is supposed to ship this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, later on he said there will be a "classic" Unity7 and a new Unity8+Mir release of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and it is not decided yet which will be the default.

Comment

They seem pretty confident they will complete Unity 8 and Mir by the end of this year, if they release that phone this year it is likely that XMir will run X applications when the phone is connected to a monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Actually, later on he said there will be a "classic" Unity7 and a new Unity8+Mir release of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and it is not decided yet which will be the default.
        As Mark said that they were targetting Mir as default on 13.10, I'd bet it will not be the default on 16.04. Really, are his announcement still trustworthy in 2015?
        Mir and XMir will not be enabled by default in the upcoming Ubuntu 13.10 release due to problems with XMir's multi-monitor support.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
          As Mark said that they were targetting Mir as default on 13.10, I'd bet it will not be the default on 16.04. Really, are his announcement still trustworthy in 2015?
          http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-...uality-issues/
          Those were always goals, not promises. Wouldn't you rather they released it all when it works, rather than releasing something half-baked?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I was sure I heard him say that 16.04LTS would use the classic Unity 7 as default, but with an option to use Unity 8. Did he later say otherwise in the keynote? I didn't catch that. I've hoped they'd use Unity 7 in 16.04 just because it's an LTS with upgrades from the previous LTS. By the look of things, I'm confident Unity 8 will be a good desktop by that time, but it's not certain that they'll get good support for multiple monitors by then, because that's not really important too the main story. But things like that are important to people who rely on it, so it'll be good to have it as default. And although it's unlikely, there might also be driver issues and stuff like that. I'm sure I'll be on Unity 8 by then though. I'm really just waiting for it to get a little more useful and then I'm on Ubuntu Desktop Next.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post
              Those were always goals, not promises. Wouldn't you rather they released it all when it works, rather than releasing something half-baked?
              Well, actually I wouldn't have cared anyway, as I don't use Ubuntu, Mir and Unity 7 or 8.

My point is it's not the first time he (Mark S.) announces something today that will be ready in a couple of month, but it actually gets ready in a couple of years.
              I mean announcing Mir on July 2013, hoping it will be ready by October 2013, and still not having it "ready" in 2015, and maybe not even in 2016 doesn't mean you've missed your schedule, it means you don't know what your are talking about. Or that you're just talking from a marketing POV and you hope someone still believes the words you're saying.

Comment

Working...
              X