Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Touch Is Making Progress On Porting To Systemd

Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch Is Making Progress On Porting To Systemd

For Ubuntu Touch/Phone users interested in seeing Upstart go out on their device in favor of systemd, progress is being made by Canonical on the switch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wasted effort and time

All of this wasted effort and time in developing Upstart and porting from Upstart to systemd could have been avoided if Canonical had been more liberal and didn't alienate the developers and community by require developers to sign CLA when contributing code to Upstart.

Upstart had great potential but it failed because of Canonical driving away developers and alienating themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      All of this wasted effort and time in developing Upstart and porting from Upstart to systemd could have been avoided if Canonical had been more liberal and didn't alienate the developers and community by require developers to sign CLA when contributing code to Upstart.

Upstart had great potential but it failed because of Canonical driving away developers and alienating themselves.
      To be fair, the CLA was one of the considerations. The other was that Upstart had fundamental design flaws (Lennart & co's view) that couldn't be solved in Upstart.

The point is moot now. systemd has far surpassed the purview of just an init system. Upstart was a better init. systemd is a better userland.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
        Upstart was a better init
        That's not what I heard from someone that actually worked on Upstart, he mentioned that real soon it became obvious to them that SystemD just was the better design.

I think that's even more obvious when you see how quickly Ubuntu switched and how the whole Debian mess was more political than technical.

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
          That's not what I heard from someone that actually worked on Upstart, he mentioned that real soon it became obvious to them that SystemD just was the better design.

I think that's even more obvious when you see how quickly Ubuntu switched and how the whole Debian mess was more political than technical.
          Yeah, systemd is better than Upstart (or equal) at pretty much anything.

Comment

Manjaro-OpenRC

Long-time Ubuntu user here...until last week.

Just switched to Manjaro-OpenRC, and loving it. Very fast, blows away Upstart, and comparable to systemd I think in terms of boot speed.

But I'm not expecting to see "Ubuntu-OpenRC" anytime soon. Or ever.

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
              I meant that Upstart was a better init when they started writing it (compared to SysV init). Now that systemd exists it is a better init and a better userland. So yeah, it made Upstart pretty much obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
                Long-time Ubuntu user here...until last week.

Just switched to Manjaro-OpenRC, and loving it. Very fast, blows away Upstart, and comparable to systemd I think in terms of boot speed.

But I'm not expecting to see "Ubuntu-OpenRC" anytime soon. Or ever.
                Any reason other than "systemd will usher in the anti-Christ"?

Comment

I meant that Upstart was a better init when they started writing it (compared to SysV init).
                  Ah yes, certainly that.

Comment

To be fair, the CLA was one of the considerations. The other was that Upstart had fundamental design flaws (Lennart & co's view) that couldn't be solved in Upstart.

The point is moot now. systemd has far surpassed the purview of just an init system. Upstart was a better init. systemd is a better userland.
                    Lennart and co's view was that the flaws of upstart were fixable. Without the CLA they would have been able to contribute there and systemd would never have been made.

Originally posted by Kay Sievers
                    True statement. And yeah, without the CLA, we would very likely have worked on upstart, instead of starting the systemd project. Four years ago we talked to lawyers and tried pretty hard to convince them to give it up, but there was no way to negotiate.
                    Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Working...
                    X