Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crytek Finally Moves Along With The CryENGINE Linux Port

Phoronix: Crytek Finally Moves Along With The CryENGINE Linux Port

For over one year we've been looking forward to Crytek bringing CryENGINE to Linux with an OpenGL renderer. That was announced back at GDC 2014 and we haven't heard much lately, but finally there's an update and the Linux support is expected soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Releasing Crysis games along with it would be nice. We don't know if any notable game will ever use this engine in the future. Competitors are very good.

Comment

Linux before OSX

None of the crytek games have OSX support. Its interesting that they port the engine to linux before OSX. Eventually after the opengl port is complete supporting OSX will be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
        None of the crytek games have OSX support. Its interesting that they port the engine to linux before OSX. Eventually after the opengl port is complete supporting OSX will be easier.
        There are very few macs that could run those games. Most of them have very low end Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          There are very few macs that could run those games. Most of them have very low end Intel graphics.
          Rage is similar in high-endness but has OSX support. I guess time proved john carmack to be wrong
          Last edited by glxextxexlg; 08 May 2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I guess this will be the same OpenGL implementation we saw on the NVIDIA Shield console running Crysis 3.

Looks pretty awesome and smooth considering the hardware. Question is how well it runs on catalyst. Pretty sure CryTek and NVIDIA
            did quite a lot of optimization together to make it smooth on the Shield, since the Tegra GPU inside the NVIDIA Shield is similiar to the desktop GPUs I'm sure it will be very fast on any NVIDIA card.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
              Rage is similar in high-endness but has OSX support. I guess time proved john carmack to be wrong
              It's not comparable though. Carmack has a long history of trying to support Linux. My guess is he just got to the end of his rope.

Comment

Chris Roberts stated in one of his VLOGs that the delays from crytek on the engine side are the reason why they still haven't been able to get Star Citizen going on Linux. It was actually one of the achieved stretch goals on the kick-starter campaign.
                He also indicated that the delays were due to performance problems.
                On a more positive note he did say that he has spoken to AMD regarding a longterm plan to get Star Citizen running on Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Question is how well it runs on catalyst
                  no. question is how well it runs on radeonsi

Comment

EVOLVE is kickoff
                    https://steamdb.info/app/273350/history/

Comment

Working...
                    X