Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINE Enters 1.0 Code Freeze

Phoronix: WINE Enters 1.0 Code Freeze

Following the WINE 0.9.61 release this morning, the WINE code-base is now in a freeze up to version 1.0. Initially this code freeze is more of a "code frost" turning away patches that might risk introducing new regressions that would set back the 1.0 release date, but eventually the code will become frozen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand the rush to give it 1.0 status.

Comment

I do not either.

I mean, Warcraft III Battle.Net does not work with current Wine versions. If they just skip it as a showstopper, then I do not know what the sense of the 1.0 stable version is. It had been working for ages, and many users play Warcraft III.. See http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9787 (just look at the subscribers)

Comment

When I think 1.0 as far as Wine, I think that 90% of programs should work and work well. But its current state is more around 40-50%. I don't know either what drives them to go for 1.0, I couldn't imagine it being a popularity contest or anything like that. Infact I think 1.0 at their current state could actually hurt their reputation. Say you download Wine 1.0, you think, well this thing should work pretty good. You load up a application or a game and you realize its not working right.

I mean, Wine is at least 3-4 years away from 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I don't understand the rush to give it 1.0 status.
          I think it's supposed to stand for the change in attitude. Previously if a new release broken your Windows app you were advised to downgrade to the wine release that did work. Now they're going to be very conservative and avoid regressions so that once an app works it should keep working with future releases.

In other words, 1.0 means stable branch.

But I agree 1.0 makes it sound more complete than it really is.
          Last edited by StringCheesian; 03 May 2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I think the intent of "1.0" is to mark a point where the Wine source organization / architecture is stable and get rid of any really nasty bugs, creating a "real" release. Until now they've essentially been releasing snapshots, to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Working...
            X