Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gobuntu Changes Going Back Into Ubuntu

Phoronix: Gobuntu Changes Going Back Into Ubuntu

The release of Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 1 is running a few days behind schedule, but an interesting announcement has come out of the Canonical camp this morning. Gobuntu is an official Ubuntu-based distribution that's funded by Canonical and its mission is to ship a distribution composed entirely of software packages that are approved by the Free Software Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Folding to fanatical supporters of foss is a waste of resources, imo. It's bad enough ubuntu ships 'free' by default and for every single thing you want to play you have to install a codec.

(there just need to be set a limit somewhere)
    Last edited by Vadi; 13 June 2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

i was wondering about the unfortunate choice of name "gNewSense"

when you spell it you can hear "nuisance". is that intentional ? :>

for every single thing you want to play you have to install a codec.
      that's how it is. distributing linux with proprietary components, or patent encumbered components is a gray legal area. it's better to play safe.

Comment

It's not a legal gray area, it's foss-fanatics best weapon for screaming conspiracy theories.

Did you see what happened when the netbook remix was announced and said to have "licensable" codecs for oems to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          It's not a legal gray area, it's foss-fanatics best weapon for screaming conspiracy theories.
          do keep in mind that if it weren't for them we would be considered fanatical, with our current attitude towards opensource.

do you remember the fuss around kororaa livecd which shipped nvidia's binary drivers preinstalled on livecd?

foss guys DO happen to have a point, you know.

do you like your linux/bsd system ridden with proprietary/closed source software? i don't because it locks me down to a platform supported by those blobs. i don't want to be x86-platform slave forever.
          Last edited by yoshi314; 14 June 2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I have no intention to argue with one, so sorry, I won't be replying.

But keep in mind that not everybody shares your opinions / cares, so forcing your ideals onto others makes it harder for other foss to advance.

Comment

It's bad enough ubuntu ships 'free' by default and for every single thing you want to play you have to install a codec.
              The Codecs you will install are FOSS as well. The reason Ubuntu and others are not shipping their distros with these Codecs is not that they want to stay away from proprietary software (hey, they're shipping with the nVidia/ATi binary blobs as well) but that the codecs are implementing licensed "Software Technologies" of e.g. the Frauenhoffer-Institut. So the license-holders might sue Canonical/other distribution vendors if they'd ship with "their" codecs.
              So the reason you have to manually install most codecs is not FOSS-fanatism but the absurdity software patents are.

Comment

I have no intention to argue with one, so sorry, I won't be replying.
                But keep in mind that not everybody shares your opinions / cares, so forcing your ideals onto others makes it harder for other foss to advance.
                The simple fact that you posted a comment means that you are starting a discussion -- if you did not want to argue then you could've simply kept silent. Otherwise a phrase like "Folding to fanatical supporters of foss is a waste of resources, imo." (noting that lack of "h" here) followed by "I have no intention to argue" is intelectually dishonest to say the least.

That being said, nobody is "forcing" ideals here, after all there are no "free software" death squads the last I checked to force people into using software. If you do not agree you are free to choose from the plethora of available options.

One final thing -- the "Free Software" vs. "Open Source" debate is not driven by "fanatics" but by people deeply concerned about the future of knowledge -- it is not just about computers anymore. But you already have all the answers so arguing would be pointless, right?

Comment

Working...
                X