Ubuntu's BulletProofX To Be Canned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's BulletProofX To Be Canned?

Phoronix: Ubuntu's BulletProofX To Be Canned?

BulletProofX was a less-exposed feature that was introduced with Ubuntu 7.10 as a fail-safe mode when X.Org wasn't able to properly start -- generally caused by improperly installing the ATI/NVIDIA proprietary driver or by incorrectly configuring the xorg.conf. The BulletProofX mode just sets the X server to run at 800 x 600 with 256 colors while showing Ubuntu's displayconfig-gtk utility (another Ubuntu 7.10 feature)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should seriously take a look at bringing SaX2 over to ubuntu.
    Last edited by deanjo; 06 July 2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I think having a way to recover from broken X is very important for most users -- I can fix my xorg.conf easily, but nobody shouldn't have to do it manually.

BulletproofX fixed that, and it was pretty cool. I didn't understand if they were canning it, and they have some kind of replacement, or they're just gonna go back to the old "X fails, here you go, have a tty, good luck!", but I hope it's not the latter.

Just my 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        They should seriously take a look at bring SaX2 over to ubuntu.
        Agreed. Sax2 isn't too powerful. But I haven't seen anything as stable and bulletproof

Comment

I dislike those automatic features. They are not really helpful for debugging, well maybe for noobs

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I dislike those automatic features. They are not really helpful for debugging, well maybe for noobs
            How does a configuration wizard impede debugging at all? Nothing is stopping you from going archaic old school if you want.

Comment

Usually that only happend with gdm and you could disable that feature. But in some cases you even triggered that behaviour by accident and I don't like that. When it is off, you just look into logfile, and do your changes. New X would currently even start when you delete the xorg.conf (just with US keyboards settings) so it is really not critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Usually that only happend with gdm and you could disable that feature. But in some cases you even triggered that behaviour by accident and I don't like that. When it is off, you just look into logfile, and do your changes. New X would currently even start when you delete the xorg.conf (just with US keyboards settings) so it is really not critical.
                You can still do all of that if Sax2 is installed on the system. SaX2 infact provides more logs as to a failure (which often at times are less trivial then the x logs.). It's not like SaX2 automatically makes the need for xorg.conf to disappear. Seriously having to know cli to setup X is a completely backwards way of thinking.

Comment

What. the. hell.? I hope they aren't being serious. While some l33t users would appreciate getting dropped to the terminal for poking around and debugging, this is killer for pretty much everybody else. Upgrade it to work with RandR and, um, tell KDE to make a replacement, but keep the thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    What. the. hell.? I hope they aren't being serious. While some l33t users would appreciate getting dropped to the terminal for poking around and debugging, this is killer for pretty much everybody else. Upgrade it to work with RandR and, um, tell KDE to make a replacement, but keep the thing!
                    *cough*VESA*cough*no*cough*like*cough*randr*cough*

Comment

Working...
                    X