Will Alienware Ship Linux-Based PCs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Alienware Ship Linux-Based PCs?

Phoronix: Will Alienware Ship Linux-Based PCs?

Alienware, the PC manufacturer known for their high-end gaming notebooks and desktops, has been evaluating the business opportunity in providing a Linux OS option for some of their products. Phoronix reader Ahmad Yasser had contacted us to remind the Linux community that Alienware is running a Linux-based system survey to "gauge the level of interest consumers like you have in buying a new computer that features a Linux-based operating system." This survey isn't brand new but had first appeared a few months back...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I think this would be a great feet for Linux and show its growth, Alienware being marketed as gaming systems and Linux as lacking in game support seems funny. I would assume that they would ship with the best hardware combination with wine preinstalled so people would be able to get the best gaming they can, which really would boost Linux's role as a gaming platform.

Comment

Digg: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_on_...ur_voice_count

Comment

Originally posted by he_the_great View Post
        While I think this would be a great feet for Linux and show its growth, Alienware being marketed as gaming systems and Linux as lacking in game support seems funny. I would assume that they would ship with the best hardware combination with wine preinstalled so people would be able to get the best gaming they can, which really would boost Linux's role as a gaming platform.
        True.
        Alienware is for gaming. What can you run on linux that requires so much power, except Quake Wars ? UT3 ?
        And Teewars doesn't require so much power...
        It's rather a good news however, but little disappointing, unless Alienware can persuade game editors to publish native linux versions.

Comment

Also Alienware systems do make for excellent low-price (by comparison) graphic workstations. I.e they come with consumer-grade top notch components, which are inherently cheaper than their professional counterparts. In an ever tight budget world... Cheaper is better, even if that might mean sacrificing a bit of precision, speed, redundancy, and some times, reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            high-end gaming notebooks and desktops
            Has nothing to do with Linux. In fact, some want to block the high-end from working on Linux because the high-end provide binary only drivers.

Comment

Don't see why would you say so. I don't consider my laptop with an 8600gt to be exactly low-end, and my friends ferrari laptop dualboots with ubuntu (which alienware should do).

Comment

Yay, I'm Ahmad Yasser Glad to see what I linked to posted :P

Seriously though, Alienware isn't dumb. I'm sure they see the lack of Linux games in the market. Maybe they plan to release their systems with a Steam port?

Comment

Working...
                X