Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 2.23.5 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 2.23.5 Released

As the first development release since GUADEC 2008 (GNOME's developer conference) where they had announced GNOME 2.30 will be GNOME 3.0, we have a new development release back in the GNOME 2.23/2.24 series. GNOME 2.23.5 was pushed out this afternoon by Vincent Untz.The desktop change-log for the GNOME 2.23.5 release can be read here...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

when will they stop having fear to change anything essential? the way they do it now gnome will look like the same in 10 years. granted that gtk3 is not the solution but what about changing to css theming for example?

Comment

I seriously think gnome needs a rewrite in something more powerful like QT4.4 or GTK3. The performance difference I see between GTK2+ apps like Firefox/gxine and QT apps like Konqueror/Kaffeine is HUGE.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
        I seriously think gnome needs a rewrite in something more powerful like QT4.4 or GTK3. The performance difference I see between GTK2+ apps like Firefox/gxine and QT apps like Konqueror/Kaffeine is HUGE.
        Gtk3/Gnome 3.0 have already been announced and are in a planning-stage right now - to be released in 2010. Also, Firefox is not a native Gtk-application. It's still XUL-based and just mimics the Gtk-interface. The last stable release of the xine-ui is from 2006, so don't expect too much from it and I'm not even sure if it's gtk-based.

Comment

Actually gstreamer is the gobject-based media framework. It's supposed to serve as a replacement for xine at some point. Unfortunately, it suffers from a lack of good guis right now. Totem and the Elisa media center seem to be the only major ones so far.

And actually, from a raw performance perspective, gtk is pretty close to on par with QT, it just doesn't seem that way, because gtk is a bit less polished.
          Last edited by TechMage89; 12 August 2008, 12:56 AM.

Comment

xine-ui is NOT gxine. Gxine is much different and gtk exclusive.

and GStreamer can never EVER beat xine. Period. Totem looks neat and all that, but it lacks basic features like postprocessing. MPlayer and Xine are the best out there.

Comment

Working...
            X