Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.1 Power Consumption Appears To Improve For Intel Users

Phoronix: Linux 4.1 Power Consumption Appears To Improve For Intel Users

A Red Hat developer mentioned to us at Phoronix that they're seeing "drastically improved battery life" in some cases with the Linux 4.1 kernel to the extent that it's up to 2~4 hours of extra battery life with the kernel upgrade to Git. I've since started some fresh Linux laptop battery tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are Matthew Garrett's Patches to reduce power drain by using smater SATA ALPM already included in 4.1?

That would explain for the drop in power consumption.

Comment

and what about power improvements for amd hardware?

Comment

It would be nice to know which cpus (?), chipsets (?) are affected by the change.
        Any link to read further?

Comment

For the last cases 3.19 had the best numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by saski View Post
            Are Matthew Garrett's Patches to reduce power drain by using smater SATA ALPM already included in 4.1?

Nope, not included yet. Once they are, a test using different sata link policies (max_performance, firmware_defaults, medium_power) would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              For the last cases 3.19 had the best numbers...
              And in xonotic it actually underperform. Iris 5100 should be faster then HD 5500, but here it is not the case... It is something like 40% for what I would expect from that Iris.

Comment

Excellent news. Is it possible to get a minor consumption on desktop!?

Comment

What about comparison with Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by saski View Post

working fine here on 3.19.7

if anyone wants to try them out:

Linux kernel source tree. Contribute to kernelOfTruth/linux development by creating an account on GitHub.

Code:
                    for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*; do
                             /bin/echo "medium_power" >  $i/link_power_management_policy
                    done

Comment

Working...
                    X