Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM's Clang Adds Support For ARM/AArch64 v8.1a

Phoronix: LLVM's Clang Adds Support For ARM/AArch64 v8.1a

LLVM's Clang compiler now has support for ARM's v8.1a architecture revision of 64-bit ARM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks like the commit just adds the architecture keyword. It doesn't even add builtins for any of the new instruction let alone use them in optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      It looks like the commit just adds the architecture keyword. It doesn't even add builtins for any of the new instruction let alone use them in optimizations.
      It was done in the last ~2 months. There was a number of patchsets from ARM regarding adding various pieces for ARMv8.1. BTW, GCC did not receive these bits yet. Thus it's only in LLVM/Clang for now (doesn't surprise). I don't recall any silicons being announced with 8.1 support and all changes are more server oriented (incl. better support for virtualization).

Comment

I do wonder who "while native ARMv8.1-A hardware is expected by late 2015." refers to. My guess is Apple.
        I don't think it will be an ARM CPU because even if the A72 is ARMv81.A (I don't think this has been confirmed) it will be paired with an A53 meaning none of the new stuff can be used.
        I don't imagine it will be QC, given how slowly they move, or, similarly, that nV can move fast enough.
        Could be one of the server companies?

Comment

Working...
        X