Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec Ops: The Line Is The Latest Linux Shooter

Phoronix: Spec Ops: The Line Is The Latest Linux Shooter

Spec Ops: The Line is the latest Steam on Linux title, however, not everyone will be happy with the Linux port of this third-person shooter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since I already own it (got it as a bonus on a previous Humble Store promo) an eON port is better than nothing.

Comment

It wasn't a good game but it was one of those games that made you think. It basically asks the player to question what you think you do in first person shooters. Sometimes even breaking the third wall. It'll make you think and worth at least a single play through.

Spec Ops: The Line questions the very nature of modern military shooters. It completely exceeded our expectations, so let's take a spoiler free look at how -...

Comment

In my case works tested without vsync

System Specs

Nvidia Drivers 349.16
        Linux Mint 17 XFCE Edition 64Bit - Kernel 3.18.0.31
        CPU: INTEL Pentium G3220 (Haswell 22nm) 3.0Ghz
        MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)
        GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 1800Mhz 64Bit (14.4Gb/s)
        BOARD: MSI H81M E33

However as other commented (Xpander) game present slowdowns when change area however runs much better than regular wine when i test wometime ago

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          It wasn't a good game...
          I disagree, this is absolutely the best game of last gen for me. It even got a positive review by Yahtzee IIRC, it's that good.

Comment

This is one of the best shooters I've played, I recommend it. It may not have had anything special to offer in terms of gameplay, but the story and the character development will surprise you.

I'm wondering why devs are actually still using eON, it proved itself quite unworthy with Witcher 2.
            Last edited by rabcor; 15 May 2015, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              In my case works tested without vsync...
              Why would you want to play it without vsync? I watched the first three minutes of that video and saw a craptonne of tearing. I'm particularly sensitive to tearing to be fair and will avoid it at all costs, I'd rather play at a locked vysnced 30fps than put up with it so maybe I'm biased.

Comment

Are there problems to make games as native on linux platforms!?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  I'm wondering why devs are actually still using eON, it proved itself quite unworthy with Witcher 2.
                  Initially, yes, but it's improved by leaps and bounds since then. I'd, of course, much prefer a truly native port, but given the choice of translation layer port or nothing, I guess I'll take the translation layer port. Hopefully these will become much less common in the near future as many of the most popular engines now have Linux support, or soon will (Unity 4 and up, Unreal Engine 4, Cry Engine 3). Anyway, the game runs well on my machine outside of the stuttering during scene transitions that everyone seems to be having (not sure if that's a Linux specific problem or if it happened on Windows/Consoles too). I can't compare to Windows performance, as I don't have a Windows partition, but there surely is some performance loss as a translation layer will always introduce some overhead.

As for the game itself, from a purely mechanical standpoint it's a very bland and mediocre cover shooter. What makes the game noteworthy is that it makes you think about the consequences of your actions and isn't just the regular brofest that military shooters usually are.

The game gets bonus points for recognizing mouse buttons 4 & 5 of my Microsoft Trackball Explorer. It's pretty sad how many games in 2015 don't support mouse buttons beyond the standard 3 (on Windows too, not just Linux), even though we've had mice with more than 3 buttons for decades now.
                  Last edited by sirdilznik; 15 May 2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, purchased for when I finally finish Bioshock infinite (could be months).

at ?4 pretty reasonable.

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Seems to work ok on Bioshock Infinite, remember quite allot of gamers are like me fairly casual. Super graphics and the occasional light stutter not really that important just something I can kill a few hours on easy mode with here and there. The Linux port allows me to play this on the Linux media centre in my living room which is nice,

Comment

Working...
                    X