Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Now Defaults To KDE Plasma 5.3

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Now Defaults To KDE Plasma 5.3

As of this weekend, openSUSE Tumbleweed is now defaulting to the KDE Plasma 5.3 experience alongside the KDE Applications 15.04.1 packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sooo nice
    running it since plasma 5.2

Comment

Many bugs appeared in the early stage of KDE4 in 2008/2009 now can be found again in Plasma5 grrr..
      For this reason I switched to GNOME3, even it is much unproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by jagd View Post
        Many bugs appeared in the early stage of KDE4 in 2008/2009 now can be found again in Plasma5 grrr..
        For this reason I switched to GNOME3, even it is much unproductive.
        Yep. Things crash on average once per 30 min, mostly harmless as it quickly restores, but sometimes plasma or whatever crash kill all your apps.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          Yep. Things crash on average once per 30 min, mostly harmless as it quickly restores, but sometimes plasma or whatever crash kill all your apps.
          I third this sentiment. It's frustrating, because I think KDE 5.x is one of the most beautiful desktop environments on any operating system. But of all of the desktops I've used, XFCE has been the most consistently stable one, so even though it's got nowhere near the pleasing aesthetics of some of the leaders, I've stuck with it. As jagd said, GNOME 3 has been stable for me too, but I'm just not as productive with it.

Comment

I've used since 5.2, and no issue far on a intel notebook with integrated video card.

Comment

I've used it since 5.1. There were crash issues at the beginning, but now it's solid.
              Those who do experience crashes, perhaps have KScreen5 installed? Because that's the only thing that still causes issues like that for me (the bug is filed and seems to be a Qt issue), and removing it makes everything work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I've used it since 5.1. There were crash issues at the beginning, but now it's solid.
                Those who do experience crashes, perhaps have KScreen5 installed? Because that's the only thing that still causes issues like that for me (the bug is filed and seems to be a Qt issue), and removing it makes everything work correctly.
                Nah, I know of QSreen fix that will hit us with Qt 5.5. Its krunner mostly, sometimes it crashes out of nowhere, sometimes when you move windows, or click something on panel. Sometimes kwin crashes and doesn't recover and you suffering trying to relaunch it manually.

Comment

Running currently Kubuntu 15.04, for me crashes were mitigated by turning of baloo file search. After that no crashes. Somehow experience with that file indexing search bring to me little dej?vu experience reminding me of Nepomuk-service some years ago...
                  Last edited by TiberiusDuval; 19 May 2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiusDuval View Post
                    Running Currently Kubuntu 15.04, for me crashes were mitigated by turning of baloo file search. After that no crashes. Somehow experience with that file indexing search bring to me little dej?vu experience reminding me of Nepomuk-service some years ago...
                    I do like KDE aesthetics. It looks good. Plasma is really pretty. But I don't like it for the fact that it tries to do too much. All I want is a pretty desktop. I don't want it indexing files, or doing anything as a background. Literally the only thing I want my PC doing is running the applications that I am running. Period. KDE tries to do too much.

Comment

Working...
                    X