Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Mesa Driver Now Uses NIR By Default For Vertex Shaders

Phoronix: Intel's Mesa Driver Now Uses NIR By Default For Vertex Shaders

Back in April Intel enabled the NIR IR by default within their Mesa driver but initially only for fragment shaders. Intel has now enabled NIR usage by default for vertex shaders within their i965 DRI driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No love for Haswell?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      No love for Haswell?
      Not yet, anyway. Most Intel hardware runs pixel shaders in scalar mode (SIMD8/SIMD16) while all of the other shader types run in vector mode (SIMD4x2). Broadwell is the first generation that supports running every type of shader in scalar mode.

Our current NIR backend only supports scalar mode, so we can only use it for vertex shaders on Broadwell and later hardware...at least for now. Several Igalia developers are working on an initial i965 vector-mode NIR backend. Once that's working, we'll need to spend a while improving the quality of the generated code.

So, no, we haven't forgotten about Haswell - it's just harder (:
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Uhh, those are some old comments showing on this brand new article.

I was wondering why what they were saying seemed to be the opposite of what the article was announcing.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 20 August 2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

Not yet, anyway. Most Intel hardware runs pixel shaders in scalar mode (SIMD8/SIMD16) while all of the other shader types run in vector mode (SIMD4x2). Broadwell is the first generation that supports running every type of shader in scalar mode.

Our current NIR backend only supports scalar mode, so we can only use it for vertex shaders on Broadwell and later hardware...at least for now. Several Igalia developers are working on an initial i965 vector-mode NIR backend. Once that's working, we'll need to spend a while improving the quality of the generated code.

So, no, we haven't forgotten about Haswell - it's just harder (:

I would prefer to see a non expensive GT3 and Gallium Nine.

Comment

Kind of disappointing results here, in that more shaders are hurt by enabling this than helped. By a wide margin. The helped ones are just helped out by a larger degree.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Uhh, those are some old comments showing on this brand new article.
              They seem to be old comments on an old article.
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X