Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 43 Brings Better Linux HiDPI Support

Phoronix: Google Chrome 43 Brings Better Linux HiDPI Support

Google pushed Chrome 43 into the stable channel today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which means that the Vivid Vervet's Chromium is lagging behind by two versions now. Currently at 41. GNOME (i.e. being a version behind), that I can understand, but Chromium?

Comment

Originally posted by zeegee View Post
      Which means that the Vivid Vervet's Chromium is lagging behind by two versions now. Currently at 41. GNOME (i.e. being a version behind), that I can understand, but Chromium?
      You should use google's repo, not Ubuntu's. Your /etc/apt/sources.list file should have a line saying:
      deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

Comment

HiDPI support is very good now, even though I have to manually set device scaling factor=1.4; some icons are raster upscale and dont look tidy.
        But overall its great, considering that none of open browsers can do that much yet.
        Last edited by magika; 19 May 2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          HiDPI support is very good now, even though I have to manually set device scaling factor=1.4; some icons are raster upscale and dont look tidy.
          But overall its great, considering that none of open browsers can do that much yet.
          Firefox ... and for a long time. Starting with 38 it enables it out of the box without about:config tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post

Firefox ... and for a long time. Starting with 38 it enables it out of the box without about:config tweaks.
            Well maybe, but FF is severly lacking in other areas where you have to go highly experimental voodoo like h264, mse, sandboxing etc.
            Other open source browsers like Qupzilla or Midori maybe lack all of that too, but at least they are very lightweight.

Comment

I hope that Google does something about their Chrome theme, Google Chrome looks so shit on KDE!

Comment

woohoo! This was a hugely important missing feature. I found some hacks to make Chrome usable on a super hi-res monitor, but it's nice to see official support.

Comment

now if only they will stop being so stubborn about not fixing all the narrowing conversions in the code that prevent chromium from being built with gcc 5

Comment

How to update to the latest version of chromium?
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 28 May 2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X