Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Releases Cinnamon 2.6 Desktop

Phoronix: Linux Mint Releases Cinnamon 2.6 Desktop

The Linux Mint crew has tagged the release of the Cinnamon 2.6 desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've used previous version, is it still sluggish and crashing?

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      I'm using Arch Linux with Cinnamon and it doesn't crash anymore, unless a new version of GNOME is released. That often breaks Cinnamon but those issues are fairly fast resolved by the Arch community and Mint developers. And of course those issues are specific to Arch. At times it can feel relatively sluggish, for example if you are used to XFCE or LXQT. Not sure about MATE. However with each release it is improving and new features are being added. Cinnamon has also recently had an code cleanup and things are much better now.

Comment

But does it run on Wayland?

I wonder the same. Last time I used it, it was sluggish. Especially opening the app menu.

Comment

Client-side decorations! So this could work with 3.14+ versions of GNOME VIdeo, GNOME Music, GNOME Photos, and just about any kind of applications with CSD, right?

Does Cinnamon 2.6 support GTK3 3.16? I could switch over from Unity to Cinnamon. With Global Application Menu in WebUpd8, at least I can put a dock at the bottom and have menus at the top, making it more of a Mac. Okay, flame and bash me if you want, but I don't have the kind of luxurious income to buy a Mac Mini. But of course, I am going to miss the HUD. I love that feature of Unity.

By the way, the text area seems to raise and lower the height as I type. Michael, could you look into this please? Also, sometime in the forum, as I type my post, I get "Invalid Server Response. Please try again." As for typing a reply, press the shift key 12 times. The "_" signifies the text box is expanding, while the "-" is contracting. Something like this:

_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--_--...

Use the arrow keys as well.

Comment

Its great to see a new release of this DE, its the one I like the most (on those based on GTK), but I hope that they will work on wayland support soon.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I wonder the same. Last time I used it, it was sluggish. Especially opening the app menu.
            I remember those times, but that was fixed months ago. Now it works great. But I use it on Manjaro.

Comment

Excellent desktop on arch because it mixes modern features with a simple gnome classic style desktop and ressource usage. Looking forward to Wayland support and arbitrary high-dpi scaling values.

Comment

No.

IMO, Cinnamon is the only DE to be both modern and maintain the classic desktop feel. I've tried GNOME a few times but always get turned off by the absolute lack of customization without a ridiculous amount of plugins.

Comment

Did they fix at least the session management?

Comment

Originally posted by utack View Post
                    Looking forward to Wayland support and arbitrary high-dpi scaling values.
                    A Linux desktop featuring a traditional layout, built from modern technology and introducing brand new innovative features. - linuxmint/cinnamon

Lots of files have not been touched since 4 years.
                    If you want a Wayland desktop, use Gnome Classic.

Comment

Working...
                    X