Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Turns 20 Years Old, KDE Celebrates

Phoronix: Qt Turns 20 Years Old, KDE Celebrates

Today marks twenty years since the first release of the Qt tool-kit. It's been an interesting twenty years so far going through the hands of Trolltech, Nokia, Digia, and the now spin-off The Qt Company...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it has very good Python bindings too

Comment

Yeah Qt has become a good thing in the world of freedom software. I mean, nearly every Linux system today likely contains a gtk and a Qt library set. And I must say that so far, for a user's perspective, I am kind of pleased with it. Compilation of a lot of Qt libs takes time, of course, but I even have them on a Geode LX with an 8 GB CF card. I'm using KDE daily on several machines and there is little to complain (sometimes there is, of course - but nobody showed me the flawless desktop yet).
      I hope Qt will come into a calm but steady flow of waters after that bumpy ride on the ship MS(!) Nokia.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
        And it has very good Python bindings too
        I wish it had good D bindings... The only ones are for Qt4 and they are abandoned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          I wish it had good D bindings... The only ones are for Qt4 and they are abandoned as well.
          It's funny you say that - I was actually in the process of implementing signal/slot support for it about a year ago, when I had to drop it because uni got in the way. I'm due to graduate in about a month or two though, so hopefully I'll be able to resume work on it then (assuming real life doesn't get in the way). The repo is [a href="https://github.com/rdnetto/dqt"]here[/a] if you want to follow it.

Qt5 support is going to be a low priority until Qt4 is implemented though - the new stuff isn't particularly useful without the basics. (Also, I've never actually used Qt5 myself, so I'm not entirely certain which parts are the most important. I also haven't looked at the way the Qt4 function signatures are generated, so I have no idea how much effort it'll take to port to Qt5.)

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post

It's funny you say that - I was actually in the process of implementing signal/slot support for it about a year ago, when I had to drop it because uni got in the way. I'm due to graduate in about a month or two though, so hopefully I'll be able to resume work on it then (assuming real life doesn't get in the way). The repo is here (https://github.com/rdnetto/dqt) if you want to follow it.
            Ah, nice, good to know!

Comment

Working...
            X