Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Open-Sources The Windows Communication Foundation

Phoronix: Microsoft Open-Sources The Windows Communication Foundation

Microsoft has today announced they've open-sourced the important WCF (Windows Communication Foundation) code that now targets .NET Core...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

D-Bus sounds pretty stupid when compared to Plumber, the network transparent IPC mechanism from the operating system Plan 9 from Bell Labs.
    Then you read/write to a virtual file on the file system, which via 9P can be distributed and network transparent.
    Since it is just a virtual file, there are no complex API involved, and it is dead easy to use by any type of application or script.

Comment

Now if Microsoft could open source Windows Forms and/or Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).
      But I guess that might be hard since it may have dependencies on Win32, GDI and DirectWrite.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Now if Microsoft could open source Windows Forms and/or Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).
        But I guess that might be hard since it may have dependencies on Win32, GDI and DirectWrite.
        Mono has some work in progress related to that, they implemented it and they can open any WF application on Linux/Mac OS. It's a shame than monodevelop doesnt have a WF and asp.net designer, maybe Xamarin dont want to directly compete against Visual Studio, since their focus is mobile.

Comment

Awesome, so I believe that just leaves Windows Workflow Foundation, XNA, WinForms, WPF, and WinRT as the list of important microsoft libraries for .NET that are still closed source.

Comment

[QUOTE=Luke_Wolf;n801390"just" and "still".[/QUOTE]
            Two important words that make a non-sense to me

Comment

D-Bus sounds pretty stupid when compared to Plumber, the network transparent IPC mechanism from the operating system Plan 9 from Bell Labs.
              Then you read/write to a virtual file on the file system, which via 9P can be distributed and network transparent.
              Since it is just a virtual file, there are no complex API involved, and it is dead easy to use by any type of application or script.
              Interesting. How is the access restricted?

Comment

The code on GitHub, "contains a subset of the full Windows Communication Foundation product available on the Windows desktop, and it supports the library profiles already available for building WCF apps for the Windows Store. These profiles are primarily client-based, making them suited for mobile devices or on mid-tier servers to communicate with existing WCF services."

It seems just the client part, to talk with IIS, cripped one focusing on Windows Store.

Comment

You know, there are many competing, arguably better frameworks that have been open sourced since day one. Java has JavaFX and Swing for desktop GUIs, there is the older C#->GTK stuff, there are web tech based desktop GUI tools, Adobe has desktop GUI tools, Python has solutions, etc.

Secondly, who the heck is still making desktop GUIs? Isn't everything web/mobile now?

Comment

It can make it harder to port it to linux but not to open source it.

Secondly, who the heck is still making desktop GUIs? Isn't everything web/mobile now?
                    So, I guess, you are not using desktop GUI apps anymore?

Comment

Working...
                    X