X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 Is Now Available

Phoronix: Fedora 22 Is Now Available

Today's Fedora 22 day!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so going to install Fedora 22!

Comment

I am curious if the Gallium 9 state tracker does anything for those running proprietary drivers? I've done a lot of reading and haven't seen much of anything on that. Very excited for this release. Everyone I convert to Linux off Windows gets Fedora and they always love it. Well, after Mandriva took the turn it did anyway, I had a lot of people running that in its hayday.
      Last edited by Victoria0129; 26 May 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I installed Fedora 22 beta on my old laptop (a Zepto with Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 with an Intel GMA X3100 and 2 Gb of RAM) and it is painfully slow. Even just using Gnome is painful and moving the mouse pointer around is very laggy. Is that to be expected, I know it's an old laptop (from 2008), but I thought that the DE would at least be USABLE in any sense. At least for browsing using Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          I installed Fedora 22 beta on my old laptop (a Zepto with Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 with an Intel GMA X3100 and 2 Gb of RAM) and it is painfully slow.
          I think the culprit will be the GPU, Intel GMA X3100. I have an older laptop, Sony Viao VGN-N250, that runs on Intel Core Duo T2250, Intel 945GM and 3GB RAM smoothly since Alpha. I suggest to install the final version of Fedora 22 32bit and see if it runs fine.

Comment

I installed Fedora 22 beta on my old laptop (a Zepto with Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 with an Intel GMA X3100 and 2 Gb of RAM) and it is painfully slow. Even just using Gnome is painful and moving the mouse pointer around is very laggy. Is that to be expected, I know it's an old laptop (from 2008), but I thought that the DE would at least be USABLE in any sense. At least for browsing using Firefox.
            I think the mouse curser feeling so laggy is an artifact caused from Wayland support somehow. I'm experiencing the same thing, but I haven't figured out a solution yet.

Originally posted by Victoria0129 View Post
            I am curious if the Gallium 9 state tracker does anything for those running proprietary drivers? I've done a lot of reading and haven't seen much of anything on that. Very excited for this release. Everyone I convert to Linux off Windows gets Fedora and they always love it. Well, after Mandriva took the turn it did anyway, I had a lot of people running that in its hayday.
            Nope, Gallium state trackers won't work with proprietary drivers or classic mesa drivers.
            Last edited by duby229; 26 May 2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure its the GPU. Its probably falling back to LLVMpipe, which means your CPU is being forced to do the graphics accel of the desktop, which means your CPU is pretty much pegged at 100% usage 100% of the time. GMA never got REAL support, AFAIK
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I am on Fedora 20 right now. How long will it be before they drop support for that?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  I am on Fedora 20 right now. How long will it be before they drop support for that?
                  Fedora 20 support will be dropped in about a month/4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure its the GPU. Its probably falling back to LLVMpipe, which means your CPU is being forced to do the graphics accel of the desktop, which means your CPU is pretty much pegged at 100% usage 100% of the time. GMA never got REAL support, AFAIK
                    X3100 is a gen4 GPU, so better than the GMA950 (gen3) that was common in netbooks. And even those can run Gnome (though you might have to lie that only opengl 1.4 is available even though the driver implements 2.1, to disable some fancy transparency/blur effects that the GMA950 isn't capable of), so there's no reason the X3100 shouldn't be able to handle it. It does sound as if Azpegath was running llvmpipe, but that would be a configuration error/Fedora bug, rather than lack of support for the GPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X