Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter 3.17.2 Adds X11/Wayland Clipboard Interoperation

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter 3.17.2 Adds X11/Wayland Clipboard Interoperation

GNOME's Mutter window manager was updated to v3.17.2 today as the latest development version in the road to GNOME 3.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! I am missing this feature badly! Now only paste via middle mouse button is missing.

Comment

There also seems to be progress on the pointer locking and confinement front for games in Wayland recently.
      lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2015-May/021914.html

With that and and the clipboard stuff working the only minor regressions I see in Gnome Wayland are the lack of screen rotation in Gnome Settings and the unusual positioning of new windows and the minor overhead of Xwayland.

This is also a good step towards switching Fedora Rawhide to Wayland by default as they intended for after the Fedora 22 release.
      Last edited by blackout23; 27 May 2015, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Wayland has problems with language support in Gnome, changing with alt-shift between 2 langs doesn't work and changing with the mouse yields glitches in language input.
        Using F22 with "Gnome on Wayland".
        And some other app crashed, don't recall which.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Wayland has problems with language support in Gnome, changing with alt-shift between 2 langs doesn't work and changing with the mouse yields glitches in language input.
          Using F22 with "Gnome on Wayland".
          And some other app crashed, don't recall which.

Is there an open bug for this?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Great! I am missing this feature badly! Now only paste via middle mouse button is missing.
            That's available with the Gnome Tweak tool IIRC.

Originally posted by blackout23
            There also seems to be progress on the pointer locking and confinement front for games in Wayland recently.
            lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2015-May/021914.html

With that and and the clipboard stuff working the only minor regressions I see in Gnome Wayland are the lack of screen rotation in Gnome Settings and the unusual positioning of new windows and the minor overhead of Xwayland.

This is also a good step towards switching Fedora Rawhide to Wayland by default as they intended for after the Fedora 22 release.
            They should also allow the mouse acceleration/deceleration to be disabled as it's throwing a lot of people off. And it's really quite annoying. I'm on my third day using libinput and there is just no getting used to the mouse movements.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
              They should also allow the mouse acceleration/deceleration to be disabled as it's throwing a lot of people off. And it's really quite annoying. I'm on my third day using libinput and there is just no getting used to the mouse movements.
              This might be mouse specific and need tweaking. AFAIK they are building a database of different input devices so that it eventually just works, but you might need to file a bug report for a tweak for your mouse to be included.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Is there an open bug for this?
                I'm sure they're aware of this since anyone with a latin and non-latin keyboard language layout will find it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

I'm sure they're aware of this since anyone with a latin and non-latin keyboard language layout will find it out.
                  For Ubuntu 12.04LTS, there was a bug that prevented codec installs as working as it should. That is, you start playing some media file you don't have a codec for and you're prompted to install it. I knew this for months, but I thought "this is so obvious, someone will catch it" so I didn't give it another thought. I've usually been good at filing bugs, but that one was just too obvious. As it turned out, it was too obvious for everyone, so I got a real surprise when it was still there shortly before release. I filed a bug, but by then, it was too late to get into the 12.04LTS image. So you had to wait for updates.

Please don't make my mistake. File bugs ? specially the obvious ones!

Comment

Working...
                  X